Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microfishd1
Token Ring
Views: 320
Message 1 of 2

iGPU or dGPU noisier?

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the integrated graphics or dedicated graphics produce more noise (due, I'm sure, to heat and the resulting fan noise--though there might be another reason?) when operating under load?

The reason is this: I have a program that will run on either the Intel HD Graphics 530 or the nVIDIA Quadro M2000M.  I also want my machine to be quiet so that I don't disturb others.  

My research indicates that the iGPU can run it, though the dGPU can (obviously) handle it far better than the iGPU.

Will the added heat from the iGPU crank the processor fan up to where it produces more noise than the combo of the processor fan at a lower setting+the GPU fan on lowish would?

Thoughts?  

Thanks!

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p non-touch, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, No WWAN, No PWM, No Raid.
DAVader
802.11n
Views: 303
Message 2 of 2

Re: iGPU or dGPU noisier?

You can check this with GPU-Z:

GPU-Z_maximized.PNG

- Get some data points (use your software with iGPU and dGPU and check % load, temperature and noise - on/off or low/med/high - and plot noise vs time or noise vs load, etc

- You should see the xGPU behavior vs load, temperature, etc

- You'll get two curves; if they overlap, it means there's no difference between the GPU's; if there's a gap, it means they're different (noisier, hotter, etc)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors