Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amy_k
Paper Tape
Views: 1,010
Message 1 of 5

p40 Yoga won't turn on after BIOS update

I got a notice on my laptop saying there was a critical update, so I clicked ok go ahead with it. Now that this problem has occurred and I've been hunting for a solution I see that people generally warn against doing BIOS updates. Unfortunately I didn't know about that and was just naively letting the laptop go ahead with whatever updates it wanted. Too late now.

My laptop shut itself down like it was going to restart, when I looked back over ten minutes later it was still sitting with a black screen and LED light on. Unresponsive to anything. It's been two hours now. 

To make matter worse, I'm trying to contact Lenovo customer support and keep getting a "document not found" page error when I try to get to the contact information on Lenovo's website. This forum is apparently the only thing I can access.

So.. any advice? I'm in a complete panic here as I heavily depend on that laptop for a number of things and having it not work puts me in a really bad situation.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 975
Message 2 of 5

Re: p40 Yoga won't turn on after BIOS update

in U.S. call 1-800-426-7378

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
amy_k
Paper Tape
Views: 955
Message 3 of 5

I called the number above and the agent said she couldn't help me. I'm currently in Japan for work, but figured since I purchased the laptop in the US, I would need to go through US support. The number she gave me to call Japanese support didn't work either. 

Some people (outside these forums) are suggesting I try flashing the BIOS, but this an area I have only rudimentary knowledge in and I'm worried I could damage something even more. Does anyone out there have experience/advice with this? 

I also read in several cases that popping out the battery and resetting the CMOS can possibly fix this issue. But after popping out the screw covers on  the back of the laptop I found one of the screw heads is completely stripped and I'm unable to get it out. Again, anyone out there with experience/advice on this?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 950
Message 4 of 5

Is the number you were given either of the below?

固定電話からのご利用
0120-000-817 (通話料無料)
携帯電話、PHS、IPからのご利用
0570-022-205 (通話料お客様負担)
コールバックを予約して、より迅速なサポートを受けられます

Google translate:

Use from a fixed phone
0120-000-817 (toll free)
Use from mobile phone, PHS, IP
0570-022-205 (Toll charges Customer burden)
You can reserve callbacks and get faster support

FWIW, my son has had good luck with Lenovo international warranty service in Japan.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 827
Message 5 of 5

oh man, brick by BIOS and stripped screw, hard to think of tougher combination. I woudl take it a local repair shop and pay a few bucks at least to get it open and replace the screw. if they manage that, you can get the drive out (assuming no encryption) you can get a SATA to USB cable and get your files while you wait for lenovo to fix your laptop.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors