Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mutty
Punch Card
Views: 163
Message 1 of 4

p50 some keys are not working on replacement backlit keyboard

I bought a backlit keyboard for my p50 from an online reseller (part# SN20K85143/ FRU 00PA317) because I thought having a backlit keyboard would be nice, and the price was good second hand (looks like new, seller said he prefered non lit version hence sale).

I didn't have the time to replace the keyboard and it got left for a few months in the box, you know how it is sometimes !

So I installed the keyboard today (finally) and everything went fine. Boot into the OS and everything looks grand. Backlights work, function options work. I then do a quick keyboard test in note pad and I discover that some keys do not work. Specifically [T,Y,P,[,], and delete keys, also Up, down arrows) . I reseated the connector ribbons to check if the problem was there, same issue on reboot.

I put back my original keyboard and that worked fine (using it now), so I hadn't damaged the connectors on the logic board.

I wonder if thier is some mapping incompatability ? I couldn't find a similar issue on the forum.

Helpful suggestions please ?

ty

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 150
Message 2 of 4

Re: p50 some keys are not working on replacement backlit keyboard

I think the new keyboard is defective.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mutty
Punch Card
Views: 142
Message 3 of 4

I was hoping that wouldn't be the first suggestion.

Is there any other? I was hoping it might be software or firmware, but I don't see any specific drivers in the P50 downloads.

At least I only paid £18 for rather than the £80 each they are currently being sold for.

It really is as new, like never used. No obvious water damage or damage to the ribbon connector. I worried that maybe it is a fake knock off, but examining images of originals being sold for £80 it looks totally genuine.

The non functioning keys have no different feel on key travel or resistance than functioning ones.

Is there some way to find Lenovo repair shop local to me, some web page ? If the cost isn't too great I would consider that as an option.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 132
Message 4 of 4

I think the repair charge might be more than it is worth - keyboards are not generally repairable.  Electrical connections are made with contact tapes being glued together.  I haven't seen your keyboard, but if you got it for £18, have you considered the possibility that it was cheap BECAUSE it was defective, or that it is a fake.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors