Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
percster
Paper Tape
Views: 226
Message 1 of 3

p51 external display ports, hybrid bios mode

Which graphics driver, INTEL Or Nvidia powers the external video display ports ?

Similarly is there any difference with the 

ThinkPad Workstation Dock 230W (40A5, 40A50230WW)

No where in the lenvo docs have I found this information.  My Bios is set for hybrid mode.  

With BOIS mode set to DISCRETE there are no issues recognizing external displays.  However in hybrid mode, no external displays are recogninzed.  

This is important if you want to use the Nvidia chip to accelerate CUDA applications, for example to speed up computation , and use the intel graphics chip to drive displays

nrajan
Paper Tape
Views: 140
Message 2 of 3

Re: p51 external display ports, hybrid bios mode

Having the same issue. Have a p51 in the 230w dock with 2 monitors plugged into the dock. I have my BIOS mode set to Hybrid, but when I turn on the laptop it seems to default to Integrated Graphics 630 - only the laptop display works and my monitors (both plugged into the dock with DP) do not.

Right clicking on the desktop, both NVIDIA Control Panel and IG 630 Control Panel appear as options. Open NVIDIA Control Panel and no monitors are recognized. On IG 630 Control Panel only laptop screen is recognized. When I go to the "Windows Settings" Display menu, only the laptop screen is recognized ... the two other monitors are there but cannot be "Detected" or "Identified". 

If I go to device manager and disable IG 630 driver, all three screens will default to discrete NVIDIA graphics. Only the two monitors will appear in NVIDIA control panel, and all 3 screens will appear in Windows Settings Display menu.

However, with NVIDIA as my sole driver, I can no longer control brightness on my laptop (seems to default to 50%), which is annoying because I use my laptop screen along with my monitors.

Hybrid mode is not working correctly. IG 630 should control the laptop screen, and the monitors should be controlled by NVIDIA.

I will test plugging the monitors directly into the laptop (without dock) and report back.

percster
Paper Tape
Views: 59
Message 3 of 3

Re: p51 external display ports, hybrid bios mode

HELLO LENOVO STAFF.  SURELY SOMEONE CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION...  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors