Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenMatthew
Paper Tape
Views: 2,332
Message 1 of 7

"Sticky" left trackpad button - your trackpad may NOT be defective

My brand-new P50 laptop was behaving as though the left trackpad button was sticking. When single-tapping the left trackpad button, it would behave as though the "click n' drag" setting was enabled: the trackpad would override the keyboard, preventing me from typing until either the trackpad was moved again or the button was clicked again. 

I work for Microsoft and have always used Lenovo products without ever having encountered an issue before, so I was more than a little surprised. I called Lenovo support, and they were less than helpful. In the end, they suggested that the trackpad itself was defective. The laptop was orvernighted to the repair depot in the southeast. Naturally, there was a three-week wait for parts - despite this being a model currently in production. Finally, after causing a stink (this is, after all, my primary work machine), a helpful support tech located parts at another facility. Another week later, and my laptop was back - with the SAME problem continuing to surface.

This time I dug deeper, looking into the various trackpad settings, tweaking the various "accidental interrupt" delay settings, verifying that the "click to drag" feature was disabled, and running various diagnostics on the trackpad itself. The one interesting thing I noted was that the button-stickiness only seemed to happen in applications (IE, Word, etc.) - the button "stickiness" didn't happen when scrolling through Windows Control Panel screens.

I stumbled across a forum post stating that the P50 touchpad drivers had an double-click issue, and that the new driver would mitigate this. I installed the new driver but didn't get any resolution on the stickiness issue. 

Ultimately, I ended up resolving the issue by removed the Ultranav Driver completely: go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall Programs, clicking the Ultranav Driver, and clicking Uninstall. This allows Windows to operate using its own built-in mouse driver for the touchpad and immediately solved my "sticky button" issue.

It appears that the "new" driver contains yet another issue; hopefully this one will be corrected at some point, as well.

jopp
Paper Tape
Views: 2,238
Message 2 of 7

Re: "Sticky" left trackpad button - your trackpad may NOT be defective

My new P50 had this "sticky" left-click, causing the scrollbar to keep scrolling all the way down to the bottom unless you moved the mouse arrow or clicked again.  It's like it clicks but doesn't unclick.  It made scrolling difficult in various programs and even in the All Programs list on the Start menu.

I followed the advice in the original post, to uninstall the Lenovo/Synaptics/UltraNav driver, and it was successful.  I previously had the latest 19.3.4.48 driver and also rolled back to the previous with no luck.  By uninstalling the UltraNav driver and rebooting, it reverts to a basic Microsoft driver which works as expected.  The only issue I've found is if you go to advanced mouse settings, a pop-up (that won't go away) informs you to complete the uninstall of the Lenovo driver.

Even though it works, I hope Lenovo/Synaptics fixes their driver so I don't have to keep using a Microsoft driver from 2006.

StevenMatthew
Paper Tape
Views: 2,227
Message 3 of 7

That's exactly right. That annoying "stuck" trackpad button irritated me for the three weeks I was at my customer's site. I had ordered the laptop pervious to the trip and it arrived and I unboxed it just before heading out of town. It's hard to imagine that they can't train the call-center folks on this issue. How much wasted time/money was spent on "repairing" this issue? I was wihtout a laptop for almost a month!

At any rate, it's semi-resolved now. With luck an update to the already-updated driver will resolve this permanently.

jopp
Paper Tape
Views: 2,196
Message 4 of 7

Anyone know how to get rid of the occasional pop-up asking to completely uninstall the Synaptics Ultranav driver? Even if I click Yes, nothing happens and the pop-up stays there.

I called Lenovo Support to notify them, but not sure it'll get remedied soon.  I also provided feedback to Synaptics here:

http://www.synaptics.com/touchpad-feedback

jopp
Paper Tape
Views: 2,195
Message 5 of 7

Another drawback to the basic Microsoft driver is there are no advanced features like gestures.  But that's not important to me, I just want basic click functions.

jopp
Paper Tape
Views: 2,183
Message 6 of 7

For further clarity, this is happening on the Touchpad left-button only, not the Trackpad, on a brand new P50 laptop.  It does not work with several Synaptics Ultranav drivers, but it does work with the basic Microsoft driver, so the button is not physically sticking.  

jopp
Paper Tape
Views: 2,178
Message 7 of 7

For even further clarification, I think I just discovered a workaround with the Synaptics Ultranav drivers:

I tend to click the Touchpad left-button while no fingers are touching the touchpad.  However, if I leave my middle finger on the touchpad while I left-click the button with my index finger, then the sticky scrolling problem does not occur.  This allows me to use some of the advanced features of the Ultranav mouse while avoiding the problem, but I hope Synaptics/Lenovo sort this out for the next version of the driver.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors