cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
negreter19
Fanfold Paper
Views: 403
Message 1 of 5

upgrade screen on w550s to 3k, which model¿?

hi, i have been searching the forum for similar links but i could not find any specific answer about this question. 

I just bought a lenovo w550s, i7, 12gb ram, 256ssd, fullhd tft panel. I use it for photo edidition ( amateur, not for busnisses) , this is my 5th lenovo and I love them, but the TFT screen just kill me since I tried the x240 i have with the touch screen IPS. 

I am trying to avoid the issue that comes up in this link regarding the brightness control. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/LCD-screen-replacement-for-w550s-no-brig...

So I am looking for help, I am searching on Ebay and I can find the 3k version for around 80€, from UK, I live in Norway now days....here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-FHD-3K-2880x1620-IPS-LCD-LED-Screen-W540-W541-T540p-T550-W550s-04X40...

Is this screen good for my laptop? It says that is compatible in the add but I am not 100% sure since the original 3k screen for the w550s seems to be Panasonic. So i am not sure if it is compatible and if the quality of the panel is gonna be good enough. 

thanks for your time!

Regards!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 365
Message 2 of 5

Re: upgrade screen on w550s to 3k, which model¿?

Hi negreter19!

Welcome to the community forums.

I checked the specifications of the Thinkpad W550s laptop, there is a variant for this laptop that is using 3K (2880x1620) which means that the one you're looking in Ebay will work on your laptop. You can check the specifications here http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_W550s?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6&Source=social_eservices&Me... - Since the display is coming from a third party website, we can't guarantee the authenticity of the part and the warranty can only be claimed from the seller.

Regards,

Moderator comment: Link expanded for transparency.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

negreter19
Fanfold Paper
Views: 319
Message 3 of 5

thanks, aparently that model is not working on my laptop. I got the part yesterday. i unmount the TFT screenand when i tried to place the new one...upsss he new one has more pins....so no way to place it....

then I tried to place back the original lenovo and....surprise, blacklight on the original screen, I can see with very low light  the logo, and the laptops works well, I managed to recover some files from the desktop to a external harddisk but impossible to the the light back....I followed the protocol, no AC conection, no external battery, using gloves but unfortunatly is not working....

I found out that there is an internal batery in the w550s, I dont know if that could be the problem, or having broke something in the TFT screen in the process...

I have ben reading some posibilities.....can be the fuse on the motherboard, also can be the cables on the TFT screen, or the sensor of the hibernate mode on the screen that is blocked....apparently is not  the GPU unit since there is low light showing in the screen....

If i get a new screen do i can damage it? Does is it my old TFT damaged in the process?

I have tried to get info online about this model but nothing specific....

Regards

Jorge 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 307
Message 4 of 5

Hi negreter19,

Your LCD Inverter might have been damaged upon replacing it with a new one. You may bring this to an independent repair expert for LCD replacement to avoid all the hassle of dealing with pulling out parts. Also, you need a 40 pin inverter cable, should you decide to use the LCD panel you purchased online.

Please see the screenshot below for details. Regards.

Mod edit  - There is no inverter on this model.  All models since T420 have had LED backlights which use DC current directly from the motherboard.  The cable goes directly from the motherboard to the panel.  An inverter is a device to convert direct current to the alternating current needed to light a CCFL backlight.  Modern screens do not have CCFL backlights.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

negreter19
Fanfold Paper
Views: 296
Message 5 of 5

hi, thanks for fast answer, i would like to use the scrren I have bought for 2 reasons: 

the original is an old TFT screen panel with really bad reflections and bad colors, and second , the scrren cost me 80€ with postage, so 70€ i would get back from the shop but to send it back it cost me from norway 35€ :-( so I think is not good idea to send back to get it total 35€ in my pocket and no screen....

I was about to ask how can I adapt the 3k screen with 40 pins to my model that has 30 pins?? there is a cable that can be used??

looking at your screenshot seems 00NY4S6 is the cable , but does that cable has the same conetions to the motherboards and 40 pins in other end that i can adapt my new screen?

regards

Jorge

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors