Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathan7007
Token Ring
Views: 780
Message 1 of 8

w520 battery died after 6.5 months. Not a recalled unit

Is there a way to resurrect a dead battery that failed way too soon? Seems it's the chip that has the problem.

I bought a second battery from Amazon to "back up" my original battery sent in the machine at purchase late October 2011. I have a 427637U that has had an mSATA and SSD 256 added to the chassis. Spinning HD in the optical bay. Usual stuff, right? I knew that there was only a chance that it was really new -- as advertised. All seemed to go well with this new battery but about a month ago it seemed to stop charging at 49% and then it actually would not power the computer a little while ago.

I ran the battery recall ID software and it returns a "product not covered" message. I do have Amazon helping me get something back from the seller of the second battery.

I ran the Lenovo Power Manager software "battery reset" routine but no help. The Power Manager says there's a battery error and confirms that it will not power the laptop. The stats are not at zero for voltage, etc., though.

I might have made this happen because once when the laptop was on AC and I took out the battery to swap to the other unit -- I noticed a real hiccup in the notifications area. I wish I could remeber exactly what I saw.

I hope Monday brings word the retailer willl swap it out, but I doubt it. I hope someone here has an idea (I *did* search a bunch of different query strings...)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Keeping an X61t just in case.
First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Farkus
802.11n
Views: 740
Message 2 of 8

Re: w520 battery died after 6.5 months. Not a recalled unit

Bummer.  But it's a battery and you might have got a "second".  First thing I do with each new battery and is to run HWinfo and find the if the full charge capacity and degradation or wear level percentage is acceptable, anything less than 3% for new is a peach.  Anything near 10% is a rebadged retred.

W530 | 3840QM | 32g @ 1.35v CL9 1986z | 512g 840 Pro | 1t HGST 7200 | FHD AUO v.4 | Quadro K2k | GOBI 5k | Centrino 6300
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 714
Message 3 of 8

Is this a Lenovo or compatible (aftermarket) battery?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jonathan7007
Token Ring
Views: 708
Message 4 of 8

This was sold as a Lenovo. It had the right labels, tags, etc., although those can be counterfitted. I looke closely at the typography, etc. Further, I looked at the numbers when I first received the battery and those looked OK although I didn't create a screenshot, which in retrospect I wish I had.

I am waiting for a reply from the seller and I will report back what they say. An Amazon rep promised that Amazon would want the seller to give me some kind of compensation. How much clout that has with the seller remains to be seen.

Thanks for replies. I guess no one knows a way to wake up the battery through a software frontal lobotomy on the embedded chip. My intuition says this is the issue. Disclaimer: I am not a registered Pyschic.

jonathan7007

First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 694
Message 5 of 8

I always suggest not working on Lithium batteries. They can explode. It is hard to have a good day after one blows up in your face.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jonathan7007
Token Ring
Views: 683
Message 6 of 8

Totally agree... I was referring to  software re-boot. It always works in sci-fi movies where the intrepid astronaut 10,000 light years from earth tinkers with the machinery, attaches a wire, reboots, and gets a complicated robot back to discussing crossword puzzles in a cute voice. Gotta be way here with something as prosaic as a Li-ion battery. But *not* inside, agreed!

<humor, sort of>

jonathan7007
Token Ring
Views: 646
Message 7 of 8

The Amazon seller finally responded with a request that I try one more time to revive the battery through a series of restarts with and without the failed unit. To their credit they promised a replacement in the event that the process didn't work (which was the result.) So I will get some kind of replacement.

The seller was an operation called "E-Mall". Amazon was great about making clear they thought I should have relief.

I looked again at the labeling. Certainly looks like the real thing. As a reminder this was ostensibly new in November 2013. I'll post again only if they don't follow through.

jonathan7007
Token Ring
Views: 600
Message 8 of 8

Came back to report what happened.

"E-Mall" stopped responding to either Amazon or me after the friendly response first received. So eventually Amazon told me they'd refund me the full putrchase price and chase the seller for money without making me wait any longer. 

I have recyceld the battery, and will look around for a different way to buy one. 

Any suggestions? I admit I am tempted to strectch for the Lenovo-store unit this time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors