Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisWood
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,481
Message 1 of 3

[w530] Fingerprint Reader Problems

For whatever reason my ringerprint reader stopped working. I've uninstalled and re-installed the driver, software and done just about everything I can find online.

In the device manager it usually shows up, but sometimes doesnt. In the control panel>biometric devices, it shows up less often, usually only after i've clicked "Scan for hardware changes."

Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a hardware issue?

thanks,

Chris.

panchalpratik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,471
Message 2 of 3

Re: [w530] Fingerprint Reader Problems

Hey Chris... I had a similar issue with the fingerprint reader on my W530 about a month ago. It stopped responding at times. the status LED on it would blink at times and at times it would not. Drivers and Software was up to date.

I literally tried Everything under the sun to eliminate any software issue. Couldn't get it to work.

It turned out to be a hardware issue.

Call up Lenovo and ask for the palm rest bezel replacement part. The entire palm rest is to be replaced though its not too difficult a task.

Cheers.

- Dr. Pratik Panchal.

eyeland
Fanfold Paper
Views: 686
Message 3 of 3

Re: [w530] Fingerprint Reader Problems

Just started having the same issue, starting to be really dissapointed with the general quality of the w530, not at all a tank like my previous thinkpads Smiley Sad

Any point in cheching different options before contacting Lenovo?

Already tried installing and uninstalling the fingerprint software as well as turning related stuff on and off in the bios.

@panchalpratik wrote:

Hey Chris... I had a similar issue with the fingerprint reader on my W530 about a month ago. It stopped responding at times. the status LED on it would blink at times and at times it would not. Drivers and Software was up to date.

I literally tried Everything under the sun to eliminate any software issue. Couldn't get it to work.

It turned out to be a hardware issue.

Call up Lenovo and ask for the palm rest bezel replacement part. The entire palm rest is to be replaced though its not too difficult a task.

Cheers.

- Dr. Pratik Panchal.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors