06-15-2015

US

34 Signins

311 Page Views

• Views: 311
  • Message 1 of 8

w530 battery is not charging...

2018-09-24, 18:26 PM

... going back to unanswered question of power and battery on W530 - mine presently at 94% and not charging. Since last 5 years charge was slowly alternating between 100% and 96% quite regularly there is something hotrribly worng going on, and seems that lenovo does not give a flying frack about fixing major screw up with recent batch of updates.

Options

10951 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39561 Signins

412472 Page Views

• Views: 412472
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: w530 battery is not charging...

2018-09-24, 19:22 PM

Most people prefer batteries to charge to somewhere in the 90's and to start charging somewhat lower.  (I set it to 75%.)  This kind of setting makes the battery last longer.  Limits can be set using Lenovo Vantage.

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

26 Posts

06-15-2015

US

34 Signins

311 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2018-09-24, 21:38 PM
for an idiot - one more time:
no changes has been effectuated in 5 years, after recent updates, PM stopped working, now battery is not charging. Same setting 96%-100% so read before running your fingers across keyboard. And trust me I don't really care about your settings. Numerous complains about recent update being giant screwball yet you still rambling some irrelevant BS over and over again.
Options

10951 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39561 Signins

412472 Page Views

• Views: 412472
  • Message 4 of 8

2018-09-25, 1:40 AM

I'm sorry if you think I'm an idiot.  Maybe someone smarter can help you.

It would help if you could add some basic information like what operating system you are running.  Also, what charging thresholds you have set would be helpful.

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

26 Posts

06-15-2015

US

34 Signins

311 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-09-25, 1:50 AM
... and what you can realistically do? rewrite drivers, or troubleshoot faulty piece of software? You already provided clear indication, that comprehension of the question asked is beyond your capabilities. nevertheless question remains - battery is not charging after reaching predefined threshold following installation of recent updates - PM driver, PM manager, and BIOS update. Take a shot...
Options

3687 Posts

12-02-2007

US

8998 Signins

186362 Page Views

• Views: 186362
  • Message 6 of 8

2018-09-25, 7:21 AM

Hello,

What operating system?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2439 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10870 Signins

58521 Page Views

• Views: 58521
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-09-25, 8:07 AM

I've replied to your assorted posts regarding W530 in the past, but I now feel a bit more experienced and qualified to discuss from firsthand detail, having now just freshly installed Win10 Pro from scratch last week on my own w530 (5238-52U) on which Win7 Pro has been the sole OS since April 2013 until last week.  Now Win10 Pro is the sole OS on the laptop.

I had actually been "warned" in this other thread about the fact that the W530 is not on the list of "guaranteed Lenovo-tested" Win10 installation success stories. In fact I created that thread because for two days I was unable to get very far in the install using the USB install media created by MS's own media builder, which produced an installer that already had 1803 slipstreamed into it.

I eventually went back and decided to use the USB install media I had used back in 2016 to successfully install Win10 onto my P70 laptop. Turns out that version of the Win10 installer was at build level 1511.  Now of course the hardware on the W530 and P70 is quite different, but at least I had used the 1511 installer successfully in the past so it was at least worth a shot. And sure enough, the install to the W530 now completed normally!  Sure, the 1803 update then had to come in through Windows Update, but it came in without a problem, and my W530 is now up and performing normally under Win10 1803 for the past few weeks.

I don't know what is different in the installer(1803) that makes it unusable on the W530 but usable on the P70, while installer(1511) is usable on both machines, but I don't care any longer.  I'm beyond that now.

So now I can speak firsthand about having a W530 that is functioning perfectly under Win10 1803, including ALL of the very latest updates from Lenovo as applied either by System Update (not Lenovo Vantage) or by me, manually, from regularly looking at the support site for the W530 and downloading any and all of any recently released drivers or software or chipset or BIOS or utilities that are provided by Lenovo for Win10 x64.

This includes running with the latest Power Management Driver 1.67.14.05, which had been reported as having a serious defect.  Lenovo had advised backing it off to the previous 1.67.14.04.  When I discussed this with my "inside track" at Lenovo engineering I was told that the "serious defect" referred only to the Win7 environment, but that the Win10 version of 1.67.14.05 was just fine.  So after holding back I finally went ahead and upgraded that driver to the 1.67.14.05 still shown as the "latest" driver for Win10.  And I report NO PROBLEMS.

In other words, on my own W530 running Win10 1803 (just brand new clean from-scratch 1511 installer upgraded to 1803 by WU), everything is working fine.  And my battery is charging (or not charging, as expected, when specified upper-limit charge threshhold is reached).  I can unplug it and let the laptop run on battery and discharge as much as I want.  And as long as I let it discharge somewhere down below the lower-limt charge threshold, when I next plug the laptop in it will start charging (as expected) and continue charging until it reaches the upper-limit charge threshold (exactly as expected).

Now, until I applied the following Registry hack, once re-charging had started it actually did NOT stop charging at any upper-limit threshold, but instead just continued right on up to 100%,  I didn't want it to charge back up to 100% but it did.  And that's when I applied the same Registry hack to my W530's Win10 that I had discovered during my install of Win10 on the P70.  At that time I was puzzled as to how to specify low/high battery charge limits in Win10 if there was no longer a Lenovo Power Manager app for Win10 as there was for Win7.  It was through Power Manager that the low/high charge thresholds were specified in Win7, so how could it be done in Win10?  Maybe in Lenovo Vantage?  I never installed that product on my P70.

Instead, I discovered that there was a very simple Registry hack that customized the values used by Power Management Driver (and which no doubt were set by Lenovo Power Manager in Win7, and probably by the "replacement" in Win10 which I never installed). By simply doing a MERGE for the following REG file (after first customizing it to specify your desired low and high charging limits), you should see the behavior of the machine become "normal".  Pull the plug and let it discharge anywhere down below your low limit, and when you plug it back in charging will initiate and keep going until the battery reaches your upper limit.  And as long as the current battery charge is somewhere in between your low/high limit thresholds, there will be NO charging at all.  The laptop will simply operate in "AC line" mode, neither draining nor charging the battery, so its "current charge" value will remain constant wherever it lies between your low/high limits.  The only way to get charging to resume is then to unplug it again, let it drop down below your low-limit threshhold, and then plug it in again so that it starts charging and will go all the way up to your upper-limit threshold and then shut off charging again.

This works, and I am using the latest Win10 1803, and the latest Power Management Driver 1.67.14.05... along with the following Registry hack:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data]
"ChargeStartControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStopControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050 ;=80% feel free to change this value. just make sure it same across all 3 sections
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060 ;=96% you can also change this as you wish

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060

;you have to replace last part of this string by your battery serial number
;you can find this number in your registry or in "Lenovo Settings" app - under battery details ("Bar-Code Number")
;example: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\1ZS424BK05M] 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\X1XP5AP025B]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060

; Edited by:
; Adam, in-ear.com 
; Headphone Experts 

As you can see in my own REG contents, I have the "low-limit threshold" set to 80%, and I have the "high-limit threshold" set to 96% (which in reality seems to be 95% as shown by Aida64, or 94.7% as shown by BatteryInfo).

Most importantly the battery charges when it should, stops charging when it should, starts charging again when it should, stops charging again when it should, etc., in other words perfectly normal expected behavior using the very latest Power Management Driver 1.67.14.05.  It never charges above 95/96%, and it won't resume charging (but simply runs as "AC line") no matter what its charge level is all the way down until it goes below 80%.  At that point when it is plugged back in again it will resume charging... until the battery reaches the 96% upper-limit threshold again. 

One caveat: because apparently every actual Windows Update resets the very Registry values I modified with my hack, when Windows Updates get applied the "ideal" desired battery charging behavior I've described above stops working as designed, and instead if battery charging is initiated it will continue up past my 96% threshold and go all the way up to 100%.  The Windows Update "reset" has negated the "turn on specified threshold-limited charging behavior" and the result is simply "once charging is started just go all the way up to 100%".  This happens also on my P70 whenever Windows Updates actually runs.  I can tell it's happened because my battery has reached 100%.

When I see that, I re-run the Registry hack again, to reinstall its modified values, and to reactivate the "turn on specified threshold-limited charging behavior".  I then pull the plug out and let it discharge down somewhere below 80% while I continue to work (on battery mode).  Once i notice it's somewhere below 80% again I will plug it back in, so that recharging starts.  And now that the Registry values have been reset to those in the above Registry hack, threshold-limited behavior once again results and charging will stop at 96%.

Can't hurt to run the Registry hack on a once-daily basis, just for good measure.  Can't hurt, doesn't hurt anything, and only guarantees that no matter whether or not Windows Update ran last night I'm going to get correct proper threshold-limited charging behavior today.

That's all I can say.  I know your story includes going back to much older versions of Power Management Driver in your attempt to back out whatever recent changes you blame for the current behavior you're seeing.  I can only relate what has happened with me, and my W530, and my own brand new fresh from-scratch Win10 install (which for unknown reasons was forced to start at 1511 and then update to 1803, rather than installing from 1803 directly), including ALL up-to-the-minute latest Lenovo-provided software and driver updates including Power Management driver 1.67.14.05, and my above provided Registry hack which actually activates the low/high threshold-limited battery charging behavior I describe above.

And I repeat that NORMAL behavior is to NOT CHARGE as long as current battery charge is anywhere between the low/high thresholds (80% and 96% in my case).  Charging will ONLY occur when the laptop is plugged in and current battery charge is discovered to be below the low threshold, and then will continue charging until the upper-limit charge threshold is reached.  Should the plug be pulled when the battery has been charged up to somewhere in between the low/high thresholds, and then plugged back in, it will NOT RESUME CHARGING!  This is PERFECTLY NORMAL, since proper behavior is to only resume charging when plugged back in if and only if the current battery charge is below the low-limit.  If it is anywhere above that low-limit when plugged back in it will NOT RESUME CHARGING, but will simply run in "AC line" mode indefinitely, with the battery remaining at whatever "partial charge" value it is currently at.

THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR.  And it works this way for me, with my W530 built and configured as described above.

Options

26 Posts

06-15-2015

US

34 Signins

311 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2018-09-25, 12:07 PM

...as you've said previously -Power Manager (PM) exists only on Win7, answering all other requests.

Secondly, I do not use any custom settings - no need for that, thirdly I have two totally identical machines one with updates, the other one not. and lastly - battery charging circuitry is in fact OS independent since turned off system continue to charge/discharge battery as needed and maintain proper operation.

Now, win 10 is obviously not in the  picture, so we're not talking about it (it is a huge mess on its own pertaining to networking issues, but has no relations to battery) Fact remain Lenovo (by now) perfectly aware of butched updates last summer, too many complains all over the place but still no solution has been provided - period. As I said previously, I do not expect any one here to resolve it, but rather finally attract attention and start working on resolution. To put it simply if default settings provided by the manufacturer don't work then we have a problem. Trust me I already tried to change presets, via registry, PM, change modes of operation - still nuffink. Disconnecting, resetting, discharging, charging battery does not affect anything. Once again - the charging circuitry does not kick in after reaching predefined threshold, regardless how it done - manually, in registry or via PM. So, once again something has to be done besides "insider" statement that "we screwed it up"... and please try to refrain yourself from repeatedly making irrelevant statements.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete