Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yosekan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 620
Message 1 of 16

w540 laptop screen flckers when playing videos

I just installed my computer, it's a w540 with a Nvidia quadro K2100M. When I play videos, for examples in Windows Media Player or VLC, the diplay will intermittently show problems. The screen filickers, or some part of the picture is like stuck for a milliseconde while the reste of the video keeps playing. It's very annonying and I don't know what to do.

I already tried twice to uninstall and reinstall the drivers,  but it's not working. The power adapater is 170w, and the problem occurs both with the power adaptater or on the battery. I noticed this problem only while playing videos, and it seems that the heavier the video file is, the more problem it causes.

Any advice or, hopefully, solutions ?

Thanks for your help!

BrendaEM
Punch Card
Views: 590
Message 2 of 16

Re: w540 laptop screen flckers when playing videos

Have you tried SMPlayer. It's free as in beer. It's lightweight, and it can play almost anything.

There are settings for direct rendering as well.

[You also might experience stuttering from a mechanical hard drive, or if you choose a high-resolution video that your internet bandwidth cannot deliver.]

[Present: W540/K2100/4800QM/24GB. Past: X220, S10, T61P]
ptolomeo
Punch Card
Views: 557
Message 3 of 16

Have you tried to uninstall the nVidia driver and installing the latest driver available in the nVidia website?

yosekan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 549
Message 4 of 16

I think the driver must come from Lenovo, because it needs to be validated. My understanding was that the drivers from Nvidia won't work. Am I wrong ?

ptolomeo
Punch Card
Views: 540
Message 5 of 16

Drivers need to be SIGNED by a valid entity to be installed in Windows 8, but I would bet a dime that nVidia signs their own drivers (as Lenovo does).

Also, in case that you need to install a non-signed driver (I'm sure it's not going to be necessary), you may boot Windows 8 in a special 'non-secure' way to explicitly allow it to install non-signed drivers.

yosekan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 509
Message 6 of 16

Ok. I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia, but it didn't solve the problem. I also tried different video players, but they all do the same. I narrowed down the problem: the problem happens only when the desktop resolution is high. For information the resolution of the laptop screen is 2880x1620. When I play the video in a small window, the problem is lessen, when I'm fullscreen, videos are barely watchable. When I decrease the desktop resolution, the problem vanishes.

What can cause this problem ?

Kob55
802.11n
Views: 492
Message 7 of 16

What video adapter your application is using (Intel or NVIDIA)?

yosekan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 488
Message 8 of 16

Let me start from the beginning:

I'm running Windows 7, x64 on a W540 (20BH), with 32go RAM.

It's equiped with a Nvidia Quadro K2100M and the intel HD (I think 4600). All drivers and Bios are up-to-date. 

@Kob55: I believe now it's using the Intel video adapter. Can I force somehow to use the Nvidia ? 

PS: I made a new test: when I run a video in full screen mode, using bilinear mode to resample it in PotPlayer, the problem is very important but disappears when I use nearest neighbor, which uses obviously less ressources.

Thanks guys for your help.

Kob55
802.11n
Views: 482
Message 9 of 16

You can try setting your Intel adapter for higher performance via the adapter settings or try to force your application to use the NVIDIA adaptor via the NVIDIA control panel

yosekan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 474
Message 10 of 16

Hi,

I put the Intel controller to higher performance and I forced to use the Nvidia controller for the use of PotPlayer (for both VLC and WMedia Player it was not possibile because the option stayed greyed). So now, when I play a video in fullscreen in PotPlayer, it seems that the problem is solved. In the other players, using the Intel controller, the problem is greatly reduced but still occurs quite often. I guess the Intel graphic chip just can't do it... isn't weird that Lenovo would sell a computer with a screen resolution that can barely be handled by the graphic chipset ? Or is it something wrong with my hardware ? I used Lenovo diagnostic software to test the hardware (graphic cards, motherboard, memory) and everything seems fine though...

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors