Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhamilton
What's DOS?
Views: 1,112
Message 1 of 3

w540 problems with Sleep as well as USB 3.0

I have a ThinkPad w540 for work. I take the laptop between work and home every day. About every 3-4 times, the laptop will not sleep when the lid is closed, but it is no longer usable and displays a black screen if I reopen it. Then, it will BSOD at some point, usually after 5 - 10 minutes. This is extremely frustrating since I cannot figure out any magic scenario that would allow it to sleep successfully every time.

In addition, I have a Toshiba external harddrive. It has a USB 3.0 (SS) connection, and I have never had an issue with it. It only works in the w540's non-3.0 ports. It is simply not detected on the 3.0 ports. Obviously, performance is quite poor on the non-3.0 ports.

I have updated the BIOS and installed as many drivers as I could find on the support page. Nothing has helped. Why is this laptop so flaky? I am a developer so it is quite a powerful machine but these issues are really disappointing since we just received them recently.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,085
Message 2 of 3

Re: w540 problems with Sleep as well as USB 3.0

In addition, I have a Toshiba external harddrive. It has a USB 3.0 (SS) connection, and I have never had an issue with it. It only works in the w540's non-3.0 ports. It is simply not detected on the 3.0 ports. Obviously, performance is quite poor on the non-3.0 ports.

Are you sure they are in the USB 3 ports?  On most computer, the convention is a blue connector.  The W540 is stealth, and black.

Make sure to test another USB 3 device, to make sure the USB 3 drivers are installed.

I also found that the type of cable may be a cause.  My OK cables are thick and work. I had a thinner USB 3 cable that worked on my other Workstations AND desktop, but not on the W540.  I do not know the exact issue why.

So the Workaround is to check the connection via cable, and make sure that you DO NOT use another cable or device in the left USB 2, as the ports are too close and force the connectors to bend/tilt in an odd way.  Maybe loss of contact. Here the Workround is to use only ONE USB port at a time on the left side. System effective number of ports, three (3).

mhamilton
What's DOS?
Views: 1,045
Message 3 of 3

Re: w540 problems with Sleep as well as USB 3.0

Yes, I am sure. None of that is the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors