Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
p1
Paper Tape
Views: 424
Message 1 of 4

w550s wont start after bios update

A brand new machine running windows 8, I ran the lenovo update utility and included all updates. The last update was the bios which ran sucessfully and windows shut down and the computer was off. There were no power interruptions and the battery was fully charged. 

Now the power button blinks and wont turn on.

After 5 minutes I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. I tried a few times, and held in the button.

Now if I press it it beeps 2 short pause 3 short.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 390
Message 2 of 4

Re: w550s wont start after bios update

Hello P1, welcome to the community,

clearly something is not right, have you called support to request assistance?  The phone number for support in South Africa is 0800-110-756; they are reachable 09:00 - 18:00  Monday - Friday.

That said, something you could try is to reset the system.  Remove the power cord and removable battery.  On the underside of the system is a reset hole, (Nr. 5 in the below illustration), insert a straightened paper clip and hold the reset button depressed for 3 seconds.  Once you have completed this please attach the power cord and see if the system starts normally.

Capture.JPG

Please let us know the outcome.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

p1
Paper Tape
Views: 380
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the response. I have given the machine in to your local representatives. I did try to remove the battery and power but didnt know about the reset switch before I sent it in. Hopefully they will be smart enough to try what you suggested or disconnect the cmos battery to reset the bios because I can't imagine its a hardware failure.

p1
Paper Tape
Views: 348
Message 4 of 4

I have recieved my laptop back from the service. The report was that no fault could be found, and indeed it does turn on now. But this worries me not knowing if there is some underlying problem that may return.

What could have happened to cause this? And what do 2 + 3 beeps mean?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors