cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmei007
Punch Card
Views: 2,328
Message 1 of 6

what is the max and average battery Cycle count number?

I bought an used 9 cell battery for my W540. I have plugged in and the Power Manager says it is in good condition. When I check the Cycle count. It is a big number: 2265. It was made in March 2014. I have tried it and found it is still strong.

I am wondering what is the max cycle count for a battery like this? and what is the average lifespace cycle count?

Thanks,

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 2,306
Message 2 of 6

Re: what is the max and average battery Cycle count number?

That's pretty far beyond the life cycle count of a battery, though it depends entirely on the depth of the discharge. Li-Ion batteries in general can last about 500-800 full cycles. However, it looks like that battery might have been subject to short cycling. While one should generally avoid going below 50% on a Li-Ion battery, it's also not good to cycle, say, between 100 and 95% constantly either. Now, if these are discharges between, say 80% and 50%, I think the battery could have a good bit of life left. All depends on how it was used.

However, most people aren't kind to their batteries. They leave them at 100% all the time (bad for the battery), deep discharge them (bad for the battery), or short cycle them (100-95%, bad for the battery). Most people won't care to stop charging at 80%, store them at 50%, or at least perform normal discharge profiles. So, I hope yours was cared for, what does battery monitor say your nominal vs actual charge capacity is? I wouldn't imagine that it's more than 80% of its original capacity.
lmei007
Punch Card
Views: 2,302
Message 3 of 6

I don't have a battery monitor tool installed yet. I have just looked online. Some of these tools have wearing level rate there. Do these numbers tell the actual life of the battery?  Do you have any particular one to recommend?

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 2,252
Message 4 of 6

If you install Lenovo Vantage, it will communicate with the battery. It'll tell you actual vs designed capacity. I haven't really tried other tools on these machines.
lmei007
Punch Card
Views: 2,232
Message 5 of 6

I cannot find what you mentioned on my W540's Levono installations (Power Manager, Solution Center, Update and Drivers, ....). Probably you have a different model and their software behavor differently on different models. 

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 2,194
Message 6 of 6

Should've asked if you had Windows 10. Vantage is a Microsoft Store app on Windows 10. Solution Center may give you much of the same information.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors