cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yawnmoth
Punch Card
Views: 1,383
Message 1 of 5

why did the W510 remove Intel Turbo Memory?

When configuring a W500, you're presented with the option of adding Intel Turbo Memory 2GB for an additional $50.00.  The W510, however, has no such option.  Why not?  I checked tabook.pdf and didn't see any discussion of this.

Rukes
Paper Tape
Views: 1,364
Message 2 of 5

Re: why did the W510 remove Intel Turbo Memory?

It's outdated technology, not part of the i7 chipset. It was only for Centrino and Core 2 CPUs.

yawnmoth
Punch Card
Views: 1,286
Message 3 of 5

Here's what wikipedia.org says about Intel Turbo Memory:

The technology attempts to decrease hard drive usage by moving frequently accessed data over to the flash memory. Flash memory can be accessed faster than hard drives and requires less power to operate, thereby allowing laptops to operate faster while also being more power efficient.

How has the i7 made this technology suddenly unnecessary?  Maybe the i7 now refuses to work with hard drives at all and will now only work with solid-state drives!  And maybe Lenovo didn't get the memo since they sell W510's, with i7's and regular hard drives!

Rukes
Paper Tape
Views: 1,220
Message 4 of 5

It was unnecessary to begin with, kind of like the ReadyBoost feature. Just a small performance boost (mostly for boot times), and in some cases even a performance hit. Which is why it was abandoned.

Not to mention it took up a PCIE slot which can be used for all sorts of add-ons.

Here's a good article on it:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3009

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 1,194
Message 5 of 5

It doesn't work right with Windows 7 and will not work with a SSD. Its time is past.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors