Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkrathi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,463
Message 1 of 8

wifi keeps dropping on P50 and wifi adapter gets frozen/disabled after that

I am restarting this thread because for some unknown reason the previous thread was marked solved, while it was not.

My wifi keeps dropping erratically and nothing other than restart can get my wifi back on.

I have tried everything:

bios update, firmware update, windows update, lenovo wireless driver update, then after someone suggested, did an update directly with intel drivers, cleaned up ip, flushed dns, changed wireless adapter settings, picked good channels for 2.5 and 5 per other people's recommendations.  Still to no avail.  Also it is not an issue with my router or at least that is what I think.  Because the wifi dropping is a problem at different locations not just with my home router.

Is anyone else facing this problem too?

Here are my wireless card and driver details:

Intel dual band Wireless-AC 8260

Driver version 18.40.2.1

My adapter advanced settings:

802.11 n channel width for 2.4 - Auto

802.11 n channel width for 5ghz - Auto

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g - 1 (Already tried other channels too)

Ad Hoc QoS Mode - WMM Enabled

ARP offload for WoWLAN - Enabled

Fat Channel Intolerant - Disabled

GTK rekeying for WoWLAN - Enabled

HT Mode - VHT

Mixed Mode Protection - CTS-to-self Enabled

NS offload for WoWLAN - Enabled

Packet Coalescing - Enabled

Preferred Band - 1. No Preference

Roaming Aggressiveness - Medium

Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect - Disabled

Throughput Booster - Disabled

Transmit Power - 5. Highest

U-APSD support - Disabled

Wake on Magic Packet - Enabled

Wake on Pattern match - Enabled

Wireless Mode - 6. 802.11a/b/g

My system is P50 Xeon 2.8 ghz

Windows 10 Pro

Any help in figuring out why am I having this problem?

thanks.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,454
Message 2 of 8

Re: wifi keeps dropping on P50 and wifi adapter gets frozen/disabled after that

Have you tried Disabling "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power" from the Properties > Power Management tab for your Wifi Adapter within the Windows Device Manager? 

• Right click on start and select Device Manager
  • Double click on Network Adapters to expand
  • Right click on WiFi Adapter and select Properties
  • Click on Power Management Tab
  • Uncheck box to disable "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power"
  • Reboot and test

kkrathi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,449
Message 3 of 8

Yes I already checked off that in the power management tab.  Didn't help.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,443
Message 4 of 8

Does the problem occur if you disable Bluetooth?    If your WiFi is connected at 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth is enabled too, which also us uses the 2.4 GHz band, it can cause interference issues.    USB 3.0 hubs can also create interference problems, so take those out of the picture unless you are sure your WiFi is connecting at 5 GHZ.

Many Cable Modems, for instance, only support 2.4 GHz, so unless you put them in Bridge Mode and use your own  5 GHz Wifi router, you may be connecting at 2.4 GHz.    

I was experiencing random disconnects and incredibly slow WiFi (< 10 Mbps) with Bluetooth enabled, but as soon as I disabled Bluetooth via Device Manager, the problem immediately went away, and my connection went to to its full 50 Mbps expected via WiFi (hardwired is always about 20% faster), so I leave Bluetooth disabled unless needed.    

kkrathi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,439
Message 5 of 8

@JDGillis wrote:

Does the problem occur if you disable Bluetooth?    If your WiFi is connected at 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth is enabled too, which also us uses the 2.4 GHz band, it can cause interference issues.    USB 3.0 hubs can also create interference problems, so take those out of the picture unless you are sure your WiFi is connecting at 5 GHZ.

Many Cable Modems, for instance, only support 2.4 GHz, so unless you put them in Bridge Mode and use your own  5 GHz Wifi router, you may be connecting at 2.4 GHz.    

I was experiencing random disconnects and incredibly slow WiFi (< 10 Mbps) with Bluetooth enabled, but as soon as I disabled Bluetooth via Device Manager, the problem immediately went away, and my connection went to to its full 50 Mbps expected via WiFi (hardwired is always about 20% faster), so I leave Bluetooth disabled unless needed.    

I use 5ghz.  I get disconnected even when I am at my home where the router is a brand new 5ghz supporting device.  Also disabling bluetooth didn't help.  My speeds are pretty good when wifi works too.

Just wondering if my wifi card might be faulty?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,427
Message 6 of 8

If you are on 5Ghz, you will not have a problem with Bluetooth interference, just reduced WiFi range.

Questions

• Does this occur only when connected at 5 Ghz

• Have you run the Intel® Wireless Troubleshooter

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006634.html     

kkrathi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,421
Message 7 of 8

@JDGillis wrote:

If you are on 5Ghz, you will not have a problem with Bluetooth interference, just reduced WiFi range.

Questions

• Does this occur only when connected at 5 Ghz

• Have you run the Intel® Wireless Troubleshooter

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006634.html     

1.  It occurs even when I am connected at different locations including when I use my phone as hotspot.

2.  Funny you ask about intel wireless troubleshooter.  For some reason the last time I updated the intel wireless drivers, I don't have the intel proset wireless software.  So the drivers are there but what looks like the management software from intel is no longer there.  Should I be installing the software too?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,405
Message 8 of 8

I would certainy consider uninstalling the existing WiFi Adapter from Device Manager (making sure to check the box to Delete driver software for this device)  rebooting and then installing the ProSet/driver from intel, if for no other reason than being able to run the Intel ProSet diagnostic utility.    Make sure, however, that you have the Lenovo driver saved locally just in case, for sometimes the standard Intel drivers cannot be installed on OEM customzied systems.

If that still fails, you might also, from a Command Prompt (Admin) run the command: netcfg -d    which will refresh all the Network Adapters, which basially deletes all the Nework adapters and re-detecs them on reboot, including all the hidden Network adaptes only visible if the View > Show HIdden Devices option is selected within Device Manager. 

Note:  You will have to re-enter your WiFi password/passphrase after running the Netcfg -d command   

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors