Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

Italy

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 10

Bad BIOS on Lenovo 330s-15arr

2021-03-23, 21:59 PM

Hi! Today I had a bad experience... My laptop didn't turn on, no screen output, just spinning fans, after some research, I came to the conclusion that it might be a BIOS update failure, even though I didn't update my BIOS (perhaps Windows tried to update it?)

I searched all over the Lenovo forum and on external websites, and tried using the Phoenix WINCRIS.EXE tool in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, it formatted the drive in FAT, but strangely enough it didn't copy the needed files, that I had to copy manually. Then as said I tried booting the PC with FN+R and plugged in the wall, but no luck, the USB wasn't even flashing. As a last resort I tried clearing out CMOS, and extract the BIOS , still, no luck.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? The computer is just 2 years old and most probably I can't put it through warranty... I am also a bit angry 'cause this happened presumably to a Windows update..

Moderator comment: Moved to the proper forum. (NateS)

Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

Italy

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Bad BIOS on Lenovo 330s-15arr

2021-03-23, 22:34 PM
Also, I noticed that my power plug light blinks red on and off, if this may in any way help
Options

2104 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

144 Signins

10650 Page Views

• Views: 10650
  • Message 3 of 10

Re:Bad BIOS on Lenovo 330s-15arr

2021-03-24, 0:34 AM

Hello pato5,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Windows updates do not usually update the BIOS.
Any changes that you've made on the computer?

Can you try the steps provided on this link:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/330s-15arr/videos/vid100760-how-to-laptop-doesnt-power-on

Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

Italy

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-03-24, 8:23 AM

Hi @Lorenzo_Lenovo , sadly the computer does not even post (No Lenovo Logo), that's why I think it is more of a BIOS issue...

Also I made no changes to it, and neither let it update the BIOS, so thats why I think Windows did it

Options

2104 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

144 Signins

10650 Page Views

• Views: 10650
  • Message 5 of 10

2021-03-24, 11:01 AM

Hello pato05,

It's unusual that Windows would cause harm to the hardware part of a computer. Normally, if the issue is caused by Windows updates, worst case is Blue screen or OS not found. Machine should still turn on and do the POST.

You maybe right about BIOs failure. What I can suggest is to contact a hardware technician to check the computer, and possibly repair.

Best regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

Italy

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-03-24, 11:22 AM

Is there any possible way to make it with another pc and a usb? Using the BIOS Crisis recovery I've read here about? FN+R seems to trigger the charging light to blink red (indicating maybe a bad structure of the USB drive?), but it doesn't flash the bios from pendrive (created with WinCrisis.exe or with label BHCrisis and Bios BHCrisis.bin, I also tried the name 7WCrisis but seems like nothing changes)

Options

1022 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

418 Signins

5200 Page Views

• Views: 5200
  • Message 7 of 10

2021-03-24, 12:35 PM

Hello,

Have you checked your User Guide to learn what the fast blinking red led means?   I have an Ideapad 330, and for my machine this means the battery is very low.

Trace the wire from your power supply cord to the AC mains block.  Read the fine print on the AC block to learn how many watts or how many volts and amps it will provide.

Watts is the multiplication result of Volts times Amps.

This calculator works without using electricity:  https://www.sliderule.tokyo/products/detail.php?product_id=7

For example my Motorola cell phone USB C power cord will fit into my Ideapad, however even in sleep mode my Ideapad 330 consumes 6 watts.   The motorola charger only supplies 5 Watts so unless I shutdown my Ideapad, the battery will slowly discharge providing the additional 1 watt.

Maybe the problem has nothing to do with BIOS?

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

Italy

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-03-24, 13:45 PM
I'm using the PC's original charger, so I don't really think it is a charging problem, and anyways, the red light blinks only when I keep pressing FN + R at startup, but as I said, nothing really happens
Options

1022 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

418 Signins

5200 Page Views

• Views: 5200
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-03-25, 14:10 PM

Hello,

There are limited options for the user to perform to resolve a failure to boot:

First disconnect all external devices, carefully check a flash memory device is not fully concealed within the flash slot.  (And that a micro sized device is not inside the larger slot.)

Then firmly press and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds, 60 seconds is sure to be long enough.

If it starts booting you are good to go!

If it remains inert, press the power button again for about 15 seconds and release.

If it starts booting you are good to go!

If it remains dormant, insert the energized OEM Power adapter, wait 15 to 30 minutes, then repeat the power button actions with the energized power source connected.

If it is still inert, consult a PC repair technician.

If it started to boot but did not complete, press the power button for about 30 seconds to get it to powerdown.

Then use an unfolded paperclip or other small thin item to activate the NOVO button.  Check your user guide, 99.9% of Lenovo computers nowadays have a novo button, but rarely they don't.

In the novo button menus, select BIOS screens, and on the Exit page activate "Reset to Factory Defaults" and "Optimize for OS"  save and exit and try booting.

IF it still is active but won't boot power down, enter novo button or otherwise access the boot order screen.  And select your desired boot image to use and try booting.

Then reinstall operating system.....

A malfunctioning hard drive can prevent booting, again a PC repair technician's skills are likely needed.

Good Luck,

Usedtoberich

Options

2 Posts

08-23-2015

Dominican Republic

5 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-06-10, 16:08 PM

I'm Having same Isue and I try to start pressing FN R and it doesn't work. the charging light is blinking but it doesn't do anything.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)