Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-09-2015

United Kingdom

6 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 5

Claiming liquid ingress - need help confirming - warranty claim denied

2015-06-09, 10:30 AM

My ThinkPad Yogo recently stopped switching on. 

I sent it to repair and they have replied saying evidence of liquid ingress is present. I have no idea when this could have occurred and now face prospect of losing my warranty. Photos of the claim are below - I don't have the computer knowledge to say whether it is indisputable or not.

Can anyone help by confirming that this does look like liquid damage? Or, let me know if it is not clear and I have a solid claim to say significant liquid ingress could not have occurred?

Also - what volume of water would be needed for this damage? Slightly wet or a proper spill of water over the laptop?

Thanks in advance!

Images are here: http://imgur.com/a/1wm8k 

Options

10 Posts

06-09-2015

United States

17 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Claiming liquid ingress - need help confirming - warranty claim denied

2015-06-09, 20:50 PM

I've taken apart a few laptops in my time, so I'll try to do my best here. I'm not an expert though, so please keep that in mind.

From your pictures, yes, it does look like liquid damage. The first one looks to me like it is more of a corrosion problem (do you live by the sea?). However, the second and third pictures do show signs of liquid damage (the greenish blue corrosion). However, seeing as how the damage is highly localized and not widespread to the rest of the laptop, I would say it was a very minor spill that occurred. Looks to me like a few drops of liquid ran down the cabling and entered the connector assembly. 

Here is an example of major liquid damage - likely the result of a bottle of water being spilled on a laptop. Yours is comparatively minor. 

http://photos.sevarg.net/russ/albums/FSRuss/DSCF2704.sized.jpg

Options

5 Posts

06-09-2015

United Kingdom

6 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 3 of 5

2015-06-15, 11:48 AM

Thanks.

They've just told me it will cost 650 pounds to repair.

This seems ridiculous given the computer cost less than 1000 pounds in the first place. They are quoting mostly the cost of a new motherboard and labour. Does this sound reasonable? 

I am a pretty unsatisfied customer at the moment...

Options

10 Posts

06-09-2015

United States

17 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-06-19, 5:15 AM

The price honestly sounds right if they need a new motherboard. It might be possible to repair at a shop that does logic-level motherboard repair, but they might have a hard time getting parts. I'd guess it would be 200-300 pounds if you got a motherboard repair place to do it.

Options

12588 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40693 Signins

429954 Page Views

• Views: 429954
  • Message 5 of 5

2015-06-20, 16:17 PM
As far as "how much is too much", there is some luck involved. If you spill a small amount and it gets through or around the keyboard, or into a side vent, it might land on the top of a hard drive or the fan cage. You would never know it happened, unless you disassembled it. One drop in the wrong place can create a short and will cause catastrophic damage. 650 pounds sounds like a lot, but only you can decide if it is worth the expense. For comparison, I have a basic (HD screen, no pen) S1 Yoga for sale for about $500 (350 pounds)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms