Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-26-2021

Ukraine

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 8

S940 broken display cable

2021-04-26, 14:34 PM

Display stopped showing image. Though, the brightness of the screen is changing, it is just black.

Took it to 3 laptop services, they all said that it is display cable. Unfortunately, it comes in single module with screen and the price to fix it will be around 700$.

My model is Lenovo S940-14IWL. New one costs around 1150$, used in great condition is around 800$, so obviously paying that much for repair does not make any sense.

My warranty expired 3 weeks ago. I contacted seller, they could not help. Contacted Lenovo support, they redirected me to US support and then they suggested to use service locator (I already did that) and stopped replying.

Based on all this, I have 3 questions:

1) How could the display cable break after 1 year of usage ? My laptop is in pristine condition, never fell, hardly any signs of usage. From the moment the display was working till the moment it stopped it took 2 days and it was just laying on my desk, I was not using it.

2) How can the repair of a cable of 1 year laptop cost the same price as used 1 year laptop ? It is hard to believe.

3) Can someone help me ? Seems like everyone is just ignoring/redirecting me.

Just to be clear, this laptop was one of the best tech things I have ever used. I liked everything about it.

I want to believe that there is an acceptable way to solve the problem.

Moderator comment: Moved to the proper forum. (NateS)

Options

3185 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

255 Signins

16115 Page Views

• Views: 16115
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:S940 broken display cable

2021-04-26, 18:04 PM

Hello bportakh,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the display.

Display cable could be in a form of display assembly that is why it's expensive.

You may check it thru the parts look up site.

Internal parts do break in various reasons: It could be due to usage, humidity, condition of the parts during manufacture, damage thru shipment, wear and tear, and so on. 
If it can't be covered by the warranty, I would suggest that you check with computer parts resellers online who might have a cheaper price, or a separate display cable (removed from the original assembly).

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

04-26-2021

Ukraine

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-04-27, 15:45 PM

Hello Lorenzo,

I really appreciate your help. I have checked everywhere I could and I was not able to find display cable separately. Also, 2 services that checked my laptop were not able to find it.

I also took it to authorized Lenovo service provider in my city, they told me that there is 50% chance to replace it. If it works then it will cost 100$, if it does not then I will have to pay the full price of 700$. That does not sound very professional and of course I can not agree to this, because as I have already mentioned paying 700$ to repair a laptop that is worth 800$ is not acceptable.

I am really thankful that you were the first person that finally paid attention to my problem. 

I understand what you explained about internal parts, though I still do not think that paying 700$ for a broken (due to unknown reason) cable only 2 weeks after 1 year warranty expired is a way to go.

Is there anything else you can suggest ? Is it normal for authorized Lenovo service providers to tell customers that repairing their product is a lottery with 50% chance to win?

Options

3185 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

255 Signins

16115 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-05-10, 21:22 PM

Service centers may have different policies applied regionally.

As it usually goes, they would have repair warranty period setting expectations to customers.
Take care

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

06-08-2021

Canada

6 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 8

2021-06-08, 12:44 PM

The exact same thing happened to mine. Lenovo was no help, no one can seem to find this cable either. My warranty "expired" the week before it randomly stopped working even though I hadn't had the laptop for an entire year due to slow shipping times. What did you end up doing? 

I had the same thing happen to an older Lenovo (7years old) and it more expensive to buy the replacement cable than to buy a new one. I definitely won't be going with or recommending Lenovo for my replacement laptop. 

Options

3 Posts

04-26-2021

Ukraine

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-06-08, 13:15 PM

Hi, I was trying to sell it, but nobody wants to buy it. Ended up just hiding it. I still hope that someone will discover this thread and send me the cable, that's all I need. Though, I understand that this will never happen, because nobody wants to take care of this problem. 

Meanwhile, I bought Huawei Matebook 14. First thing before buying, I checked the prices to replace cable or display and they are very acceptable in comparison to Lenovo.

Regarding Lenovo, my opinion is same as yours, never buying or recommending any Lenovo product again.

Options

1 Posts

06-08-2021

Canada

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-06-08, 23:55 PM

Same Issue Here!

1 month after the warranty for my S940 expired, my display stopped working. Was told that it is an  display connector EDP issue and have been trying to get Lenovo to fix it for the past 4 months but to no avail. Most customer reps are rude and just disconnect chat. Never buying Lenovo again!

Options

3185 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

255 Signins

16115 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-06-15, 22:21 PM

Sorry to read your experience.
If you did manage to report this before the warranty expired then perhaps letting them know can make some consideration worth giving a call.

Take care

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms