Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-13-2013

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad S440 webcam and microphone problem

2013-11-13, 20:21 PM

I bought a Thinkpad S440 from Lenovo website not more than a month ago. First week, it was working totally fine and then the integrated camera stopped working. I reinstalled the drivers and it solved the problem for few hours and then the same thing again. Once I reinstall the drivers, it works for few hours and stops working after some time. It shows this when I try to use Skype: Capture.JPG

I have checked all settings and everything seems fine.

The second problem is with the microphone. As with the camera, it was initially working fine then I connected my headphones and now the microphone only works through my headphones. The built-in microphone stopped working. I googled the problem and found out that the problem was to do with headphone/jack sensing problem. I don't know if this is the exact problem with my case, but sounds similar.

P.S. I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 somewhere during the problems so I don't know if that is causing this. The camera problem might be something to do with the update, but the microphone issue seems to be a hardware problem.

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Views: 43656
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad S440 webcam and microphone problem

2013-11-14, 7:05 AM

Hi Biswas,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I'm really sorry to hear that you are not able to use webcam and mic in your Lenovo S440 after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

Check if your camera is in normal or private mode. This could be happening because you might have set your camera in private mode.

Go into Lenovo Settings App on Metro view, and select camera.

There will be the options of Private and Normal.

Select Normal.

Also, in Settings > Permissions, make sure that Skype and other similar apps have permission to access the Webcam or Microphone.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

11-13-2013

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2013-11-14, 18:57 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I did not even have the lenovo settings app before you mentioned it ( just installed and checked the settings -- everything's alright).

The camera isnt a big issue as it tends to work at times, but the big problem is with the built-in mic. It doesnt work at all. I have to connect my headphones to use the mic. I dont know if the problem is with jack sensing. Anyway, do you know how can i contact lenovo technical support (email? phone number). I live in Aberdeen, UK. I think it is a hardware issue.

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Views: 43656
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-11-15, 5:10 AM

Hi Biswas,

If you suspect that it is a hardware failure, I would strongly suggest you to contact our technical support for assistance.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I’m sure they will be a great help.

Best Regards,

Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms