Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

12-27-2013

South Africa

12 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 91 of 97

Re: Thinkpad Twist HD Upgrade to SSD

2014-03-12, 2:07 AM

So this question might not be related to this thread, but if anyone has had a similar problem after switching out hard drives I thought they might be able to help.

My original 500GD HDD died and I replaced it with a 250GB Sansung SSD. Everything was just peachy for about a month. Suddenly since last night my computer has been unable to access the hard drive files. The computer boots and everything looks normal, but when I go to my explorer and click on say, downloads, it says it's loading forever and nothing ever shows up. same thing if I right click on the C Drive to try to access properties, just a "thinking" icon that never stops. I am also unable to download anything from the internet. It's like the drive just disappeared but it's obviously still working as I am booting and running windows from it. 

Has anyone else encountered this mysterious phenomenon?

p.s. i've about had it with how many headaches this fancy new expensive laptop has caused me.

Options

12 Posts

07-29-2013

Bergen, Norway

63 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 92 of 97

2014-03-12, 10:22 AM

Assuming you have only one disk in your computer then that is quite weird. If the disk is fried then you would not be able to start up Windows at all. I say the best you can do in such a case would be to just run windows repair. To do that you just start up with a bootable windows 8 drive, either a USB flash drive or a DVD. Then you go to repair this partition of Windows. 

I say this because it sounds like WIndows isn't finding the drive, and that would be quite weird with Windows being installed on that drive. 

Options

44 Posts

11-24-2012

Florida

55 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 93 of 97

2014-04-21, 19:34 PM

Just so people know my configuration.  I'm under a stock a Lenovo configuration with little changes.  I then installed an SSD and here is my data.  Pressing start and selecting airplane mode will eliminate variables, so I did that.  Waited 5 minutes with no activities with my mouse reading the output of BatterBar...  With brightness all the way down I used 7.0 mW.  With brightness at max I used 10.3mW

Options

4 Posts

11-21-2014

usa

10 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 94 of 97

Re: Thinkpad Twist HD Upgrade to SSD - Finally got it to work

2014-12-15, 7:51 AM

The hard drive died (after only one year) so I decided to upgrade to an SSD.  I could not get it to work with the recovery files (using a bootable USB FLash Drive).  This was extremely frustrating.  I installed the SSD and tried to boot from the USB drive with the recovery files.  It just would not work.  

I finally was able to get it to work using these Instructions:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html and a Windows 8 x64 ISO.  I hope this is helpful for anyone who is having issues.  Good Luck.    

Options

10 Posts

03-03-2016

Ireland

14 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 95 of 97

2016-03-03, 13:30 PM

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions for you. I want to buy a SSD drive for my Lenovo Twist to replace the old, slow, non SSD one.

Which ones do you recommend? Also which software do you recommend for doing the migration of the partitions?

Thanks!

E.

Options

4 Posts

01-07-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 96 of 97

2018-01-07, 21:17 PM

HDD died on my Twist s230u. I'm very happy with the computer so replaced the old drive with a Samsung SSD 850 1TB and did a new install of Windows Pro 8, which was the original OS that I never updated (it worked fine for me and I saw no reason to create new problems). Are there any adjustments that I need to make in the BIOS, etc. in order to maximize the benefits of using SSD? Also do I have do anything to set up the new drive with partitions, etc. (the SSD came with a Samsung install disk, but I didn't use it)? So far the computer seems to be working, though I haven't done much with it. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks.

Options

4 Posts

01-07-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 97 of 97

2018-01-07, 21:27 PM

Also, when I did the OS install, I was prompted to format "all drives" and now I see two drives in the BIOS and in the file manager (C, D). Is there a second drive in the machine or was the drive partitioned?  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms