Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

12-09-2012

Gilbert, AZ

31 Signins

400 Page Views

• Views: 400
  • Message 61 of 97

Re: Thinkpad Twist HD Upgrade to SSD

2013-01-01, 15:39 PM

Forgot to mention, I left the eSata SSD in the Twist because the existing OS was using it. Also noticed that I'm now getting between 5 and 5.5 hours out of a charge, depending on what I'm doing.

Next step, add the Twist to auto backup process on my WHS 2011 so it backs up the Twist.

Options

20 Posts

12-30-2012

USA

46 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 62 of 97

2013-01-04, 2:55 AM

In my experience, the procedure for Creating a Recovery Media USB Key does not work. After I click Reset your PC, I get the following error: "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing", and I'm unable to continue.

The only way I was able to get this to work was by creating a UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive of the retail WIndows 8 disc and doing a clean install of WIndows 8 (not the Lenovo factory install). If you don't have the retail disc available they can be found here. I have no idea whether this approach is technically legal, but you are licensed for Windows 8 and it will work. The UEFI will automatically use your embedded license key to activate automatically. Afterward, you will need to manually download the drivers or at least the Lenovo System Update and let it do the rest.

Options

4 Posts

12-25-2012

TURKEY

53 Signins

357 Page Views

• Views: 357
  • Message 63 of 97

2013-01-23, 19:34 PM

which brand 1.8 msata drive recommend to us

Options

4 Posts

12-25-2012

TURKEY

53 Signins

357 Page Views

• Views: 357
  • Message 64 of 97

2013-01-25, 21:06 PM

does OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 1.8" SSD compatible with twist.can I use OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 1.8" SSD primary drive instead 24 gb ssd

Options

3 Posts

02-04-2013

Australia

2 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 65 of 97

2013-02-04, 4:50 AM

From the User Guide:

General tips for preventing problems
1. If your computer is equipped with both a hard disk drive and an mSATA solid-state drive, you are not
recommended to use the mSATA solid-state drive as a bootable device. The mSATA solid-state drive is
designed and developed for “cache” function purpose only. If you use the mSATA solid-state drive as a
bootable device, its reliability is not guaranteed.

Options

5 Posts

03-16-2013

somehere

10 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 66 of 97

2013-03-17, 0:08 AM

I used an Intel 520 series 480GB. There is a plastic retainer ring that makes up the thickness difference in the form factor. Remove that ring and the drive slides right in - done. Yes, the cover to the drive does not screw down again, but U used simple scotch tape to reseal - simple, but does the job - it's thin enough and allows the drive to reseal and slip right into the unit.

So, I used an Intel Licoln Crest 120GB to replace the 24GB SSD in the PCIE slot under the upper left side of the keyboard. Please refer to http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/s230u_hmm_en_0b48943.pdf for service.

In the end I have a total of 600GB onboard - of some of the fastest / reliable SSD on the market. Behold "Super Twist".

Now, to install another OS into the twist, that takes some doing. I have successfully installed Windows Server 2012 on the twist, nice... I have also installed Windows 7 too - in dual boot configurations.

Lenovo does not provide a full driver set for 2012 or 7 for the twist, but the farthest I got was all drivers installed except for GPIO in either (2012 or 7). Ok, no tent mode, but touch screen for the server / win 7 works just fine, and they run completely nice, fast. Etc...

Other OS Installation Note:
Yes, you have to turn off security in bios to get 2012 and 7 to run, and use an autounattend.xml file in conjuntion with Windows 2012 setup so bios does not feed the Windows 8 key to 2012 (which prevents installation). Win 7 is OK - does not use new OEM product key convention.

For Windows 2012 Server Install - To create autounattend.xml use the windows WAIK kit to put your product key in the autounattend.xml file.

Final note, in order to put another flavor of Windows 8 (or greater) on the twist you have to do (and consider) a few things.

1. The twist uses new security concepts which marry software / hardware together, This makes it difficult to change out hardware or software out if you need to change it. This discussion does not explain how to properly marry new HDDs to the system or how to employ bootable USB for OS installation. I did it at my own risk, which was to turn off the security features in BIOS. This is not recommended by Lenovo. I am not a Lenovo representative, just a plain-ole-it-guy who took that risk. I wanted to run a server operating system onm the twist for development pruposes (Works great - less the tent mode feature. Unit stable other than that...)

2. The new windows 8 and greater, also as part of security, retains its key in bios. This makes it difficult to introduce a new OS in the system. Please use Microsoft WAIK (stated above) to create autounattend.xml in the root of the install drive (USB or DVD).

Windows 8 or greater looks to BIOS to find install key (It is a retail windows 8 pro key - in this instance). But, Windows 8 or greater first looks for the autounattend.xml and if it does not see it, then it will look to BIOS. That was how I was able to install windows 2012.

My own disclaimer - Please know, none of what I state in this forum is a "hack" or work around. The concepts I describe are natural / normal / plain-old-everyday / common Microsoft / Lenovo conventions. There are no firmware injections / bios changes. All items in this set of comments are purely reversable to bring the twist back to original OEM state.

If you happen to see this thread before you purchase a twist. Please image your drives before you even take them out and replace with other SSDs.

Also note, Lenovo will NOT recommend removal of any drives or equiptment from these units. Many threads warn about replacing hardware with unattended consequences. Lenovo does not support any of it - even though their service manuals tell you how to do it - see link above. For authorized service only.

Finally, then I'm out of here.

The twist is great. Personally, I woudl have grabbed the x230t and expanded the hardware in that unit. It is a business unit and meant for professional upgrades - and the unit is sturdier.

But, as I have the twist, upgraded to 600GB of SSD. This thing rocks...

Have a nice day...

Options

987 Posts

06-03-2011

United States of America

591 Signins

14790 Page Views

• Views: 14790
  • Message 67 of 97

2013-03-17, 1:24 AM

@robertGregory

FYI, removing the plastic retainer ring on the Intel 520 voids the warranty. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Options

5 Posts

03-16-2013

somehere

10 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 68 of 97

2013-03-17, 7:11 AM

ok, so cracking the SSD is a warranty buster, not a not a problem. The plastic ring, which makes the 520 series SSD a normal 2.5 drive, allowing it to fit in a common 2.5 bay. Removal of the ring makes it so the drive can also fit in the tinier form factor such as the twist. This is not a shoe-in, it is by design.

But really, who cares about warranty right. I mean once you use a non-stock SSD in place of the 24GB Cache SSD you probably bust that warranty too.

I mean cmon, most of the stuff we do to products busts warranty anyway, and if you are cautios, you can always return the item to factory specs anyway. In the case of the SSD - removing the cover, does not break a seal or anything like that, it's just a cover.

Case and point. When I first got the twist and the two SSDs, the first Intel 480 was defective, where it's life and efficiency were reported by the Intell SSD tookit as degraded. I learned this after install of the unit. So, I was able to request a return through Amazon, who replaced it within 24 hours. The SSD was not damaged by me, no electronics were touched, and the cover and plastic ring were placed back on the SSD and screwed back together. I returned the unit, no problem

After I received the new unit, did the same thing, removed the cover and ring, placed back into the twist, did a life and efficiency check with the Intel SSD tookit - all is perfect. No one at intel will be able to know the difference. This was no different than unscrewing the cover to remove the hard disk on the twist itself.

And just to be clear. The Intel SSD is not a hermetically sealed unit, the cover is loose, and air and dust can get in easier tan if I left a window cracked open... Its not like a regular spinning disk, which is air tight...

Options

5 Posts

03-16-2013

somehere

10 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 69 of 97

2013-03-17, 7:30 AM

More thoughts.

Intel does not make a form factor for the drive to fit into the twist, yet ring removal seemed a reasonable and safe way to get the 520 into it without causing any harm.

If you want to argue the fact that I am posting suggestions to consumers - encouraging the destruction of parts just to get something accomplished - in this case, affording to get the great benefits of the Intel 520 series into the twist, then I could give you the list of items which fall under that category.

0. Changing the security settings in bios to allow a bootable USB to work, allow the Intel SSDs to be accessable, and allow another operating system to be installed.
1. Using an autounattend.xml to get Windows Server 2012 to act as the operating system in the twist

2. Unscrewing the two back screws on the twist, popping the keyboard out to remove the 24GB SSD and replacing it with another PCIE mSata SSD.
3. Altering the group policy settings in windows 2012 to allow for the windows 8 drivers to be used

4. I could go on...

But, in the end, the twist is solid with these changes, again, this is not a hack job, it's clean. And the twist is a better performer with these alterations...

Options

987 Posts

06-03-2011

United States of America

591 Signins

14790 Page Views

• Views: 14790
  • Message 70 of 97

2013-03-17, 13:57 PM

I wasn't trying to argue that there is anything wrong with doing things that might void one's warranty. I just wanted to let people know, because some people prefer not to void warranties on products. For those people, they are better off purchasing something like the Intel 520 in a smaller capacity that comes in 7mm height, Samsung 840, or Samsung 840 Pro. The 840 has competitive performance to the Intel 520 for some workloads, and the 840 Pro is faster. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms