Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

12-27-2013

South Africa

12 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 81 of 97

Re: Thinkpad Twist HD Upgrade to SSD

2013-12-28, 4:11 AM

OK guys, first of all THANK YOU for this thread! My twist has been somewhat of a lemon since the day I got it and my HDD inexplicably gave up on me and died on Christmas (thanks Santa). It was only 8 months old. I was excited to upgrade to SSD anyway so I guess it's an excuse to do it. I've decided to go with the crucial M500 480gb.  Since my hard drive is already dead and I wasn't smart enough to create a bootable USB, I'm trying a bootable Ubuntu USB to first recover my product keys before installing a *cough* pirated *cough* version of Win8 pro. 

Has anyone else had to go about this method and have any advice? I'm not a computer whiz, just pretty good at googling things. The last time I reformatted a hard drive and reinstalled an OS was in 2001, so I'm a little nervous.

Once I create my win 8 bootable USB I just pop in the new SSD and head to the BIOS boot menu? Most people here seem to be changing out functioning drives so any advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!:smileyhappy: 

Options

17 Posts

12-27-2013

South Africa

12 Signins

108 Page Views

• Message 82 of 97

2013-12-28, 10:35 AM

**Update**

My ubuntu plan failed, but i read that the product key is encrypted in this BIOS anyway, so I'm hoping I didn't even really need that. instead of pirated software I attempted to boot with my new drive (samsung 840evo 250GB) installed from a recovery USB made from a friend's windows 8. someone told me this would work, however i ended up getting the same error message about a missing required drive partition that other ppl have mentioned. 

sooo....im gonna try the windows 8 iso on a bootable UEFI USB and hope to the dear lord that my system can use my original product key to authenticate it. 

if for any reason someone believes this plan will not work, please please please let me know what i need to do. i'm a freelancer and my whole life depends upon that computer. 

(side note: im currently working from my husband's old T400 which overheats and shuts down so frequently we have to keep frozen bacon under it at all times. time is of the essense, i keep eating all the bacon.)

Options

12 Posts

07-29-2013

Bergen, Norway

63 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 83 of 97

2013-12-28, 16:31 PM

There is no need trying to extract your product key as it is already in your BIOS. This means that you can just install Win 8 as normal and the key will automatically fill itself in when needed to. As for the "pirated" version of your Win 8, it is fully legal  to get another copy of your Windows DVD (In fact I believe Microsoft actually provides one online). Just try installing Win 8 as normal (check out how to make a bootable Windows USB stick for the installation). I used the DVD I got when I bought Win 8 for my desktop and it worked perfectly for me, as for the lenovo software, you can always find it on their webpage if you want it.

PS: If your win 8 bootable USB stick does not work, it probably means that youre Win 8 version isn't an OEM edition. In that case youre best off downloading another unchanged ISO in OEM version.

Options

17 Posts

12-27-2013

South Africa

12 Signins

108 Page Views

• Message 84 of 97

2013-12-30, 4:05 AM

Yes it's true, the ISO I downloaded from what.cd was legit and as soon as it booted up it recognized my product key. very exciting. i tried originally to use a windows recovery usb stick but that didn't work. for anyone else trying on a fresh hard drive without one available to clone i would recommend following the intructions on creating a UEFI bootable USB (found earlier up on this thread) rather than trying to work in legacy mode. also since i used a pirated ISO with just a clean windows8, i wasn't faced with all the bloatware originally installed on the lenovo. so that was a nice bonus. 

one quick note, when booting from the UEFI USB you will come to a menu where you are to pick drive 0 (your new hard drive) which it says has 1 partition. you have to delete that partition before you can proceed as i guess the "partition" is basically the whole drive. took me about 10 minutes to figure that out, and then i felt plenty stupid afterwards. but it worked, so yay!

definitely getting faster boot times, though so many bugs i had before are still around, which i was hoping would be solved. looks like lenovo still has a lot of firmware problems they need to fix on the s230u.

not noticing improved battery with the samsung 840evo 250gb SSD. actually it's pretty much exactly the same right around 3.5 hours. i guess i will just be happy that my computer works again.

thanks again for your help on this thread! 

Options

1 Posts

12-30-2013

United States

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 85 of 97

2013-12-30, 23:12 PM

Hello all.

I have an S230u coming next week with 500GB HDD and want to swap it out for a 240GB SSD.  I'd love to do a clean install to remove all if not most of the crap/bloatware I don't need or want but that may be another day or never.

I am a complete noob at Windows these days. I ran years in the Mac world, migrated to Linux.  I have Ubuntu running on several X230s but am making some business changes and need to run Windows and Office with my partners for a couple of specialized office plug ins that can only run on native excel.

Can someone point me to or provide me the instructions on the steps required for at least an SSD swap or clean install?  As of now I do not have any spare drive bays or windows 8.0 media but can acquire the 8.0 install media.

Thanks for any and all help here.

Options

12 Posts

07-29-2013

Bergen, Norway

63 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 86 of 97

2013-12-31, 0:37 AM

Hi, I am unsertain as to how much knowlage you have when it comes to computers so I will try to make this as beginner friendly as possible:

First off, youre best off getting a windows 8 install dvd and then creating a bootable USB stick to install win 8 on your computer (Follow this guide if you don't know how) If you already have Win 8 installed on your computer and just want to make the change to an SSD then youre best off just using the lenovo recovery program to create a recovery drive on your USB stick.

The swap in itself is quite easy, just follow the service manual.

As for the installation, you need to make sure that USB drive is set as a bootable device in the BIOS. When all that is done you just start up the computer with the USB stick in and start the windows install as normal.If you want eh lenovo programs then you can get them along with the drivers on the lenovo page.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your upgrade process.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 87 of 97

2014-01-06, 18:47 PM

iamtaylor,

I felt compelled to weigh in on the aforementioned frozen bacon cooling mod for your old T400.... :smileywink:

While that is an innovative solution, and a tasty one as well....

Is it still running Windows?  If so, be sure to use the Lenovo Power Manager.   You might also try cleaning out the fan and heatsinks with canned air, and if you are confident, removing the fan / heat sink, cleaning off the old thermal grease and reapplying some artic silver.  This article shows what can happen on a similar T61p with a dirty / clogged fan.  The hardware maintenance manual can provide detailed instructions on how to remove the keyboard, palmrest and fan from your system.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

1 Posts

02-28-2014

United States

14 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 88 of 97

2014-02-28, 2:58 AM

I just went through the process of upgrading to SSD. It was a somewhat forced upgrade as my son dropped the twist and killed the original hdd, although I planned on this upgrade eventually anyway. Like almost everyone else, the recovery methodology as published by Lenovo did not work for me. I had made the usb recovery drive a while ago but I did not have any disk version of Windows 8 around. I am not an IT person, but through some trial and error and some thinking through the process, I eventually managed to get the usb thumb drive recovery to work.  Lenovo just seems to be missing a few steps in their methodology, perhaps intentionally. I thought I would share what I did in case people do not want to go though creating a UEFI bootable usb or don't have have a windows 8 disc somewhere.

Here's what I needed to do that Lenovo doesn't state. When entering bios to confirm that the USB drive is recognized and the computer will boot to it, you also need to go into the security settings. You need to disable Secure Boot, or otherwise, you will get the error that says "partition can't be found" or "can not be created" etc. The weird thing was I also had to change the security chip to "inactive" status. If I didn't do this, what would happen is that about 90% through the process, I would get a screen that said the TPM would be cleared and rewritten and it would ask whether I accept or reject it. Regardless of which one you choose, it would always just reboot and take you right back to the beginning of the recovery process as if nothing had been done. With the chip set to inactive, it would still take me to the same screen at 90% through, but this time after choosing reject, it rebooted into WIndows 8 as its supposed to and the recovery process was completed.

Finally, while the methodology states that when working with a blank drive, you can choose either to keep the existing partitions or create new partitions, I found it only worked when telling it to create new partitions.

Options

2 Posts

03-02-2014

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 89 of 97

2014-03-02, 6:32 AM
Dear disco Fever
What is the SSD 24 Gb used for ?
Options

2 Posts

03-02-2014

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 90 of 97

2014-03-02, 6:34 AM
Dear Mark_Lenovo

I would like to ask you about the small ssd partition that comes with thinkpad twist. What is this partition used for ?
I changed my HDD from 500 GB to samsung ssd 128 GB
Is the 24 gb partition still useful under this new situation
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms