01-01-2014

chicago

4 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 19

Thinkpad Yoga: Plugged in not charging. Windows 8.1

2014-01-01, 11:57 AM

tried most of the solutions here but doesn't work because are either for different model or different OS.

can anyone help? really frustrated and thinking of returning and going w/ another brand/model.

there's no energy management icon.

cannot find maximize battery life vs optimize battery life option.

already installed settings dependency package version 2.0.0.11.

also installed lenovo power management driver 1.67.04.04

as a last resort (if decide to just return and not deal w/ hassle), how do i restore thinkpad yoga to factory settings?

really like device but too many problems (cannot even connect to wifi) but that's another problem...

Options

5 Posts

01-04-2014

Australia

8 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 2 of 19

Re: Thinkpad Yoga: Plugged in not charging. Windows 8.1

2014-01-04, 9:18 AM

Hi

I have had the same problem - got my Thinkpad Yoga on the 2/1/14. Windows 8.1 OS.

The initial power management option in 'Lenovo settings' when I installed the OS provided for an option to 'Automatically optimize for battery life’ - which I have just read elsewhere was supposedly removed as it had issues with Windows 8.1 (I could not agreee more) and got it resolved myself through some trial and error and retesting to prove the bug was repeatable for my own peace of mind as to the cause of the error.

The only reason I am telling you the above is because you might have got yourself where you are by doing what I did - and that reverting out is not as simple as turning off that 'Automatically optimize for battery life’ back to 'Full power'.

I assume the 'Lenovo settings' software is dynamically provided over the internet, because that 'Automatically optimize for battery life’ power menu option has now (fortunately) gone missing in the past 36 hours.

HOWEVER, as I am having numerous OS blue screen of death issues, I reloaded the OS from scratch off the recovery drive to try and stabilise the OS and experienced the exact same issue with the machine not recharging after the OS was reinstalled. My best guess is that they have progammed the same power management bug into the recovery disk.

Here is how I got it charging again...

1. Select 'Control Panel' under the Windows desktop (hold down the Windows keyboard key and press X at the same time)

2. Go to 'Power options' and select 'Balanced' if it is not already selected (mine was set to 'Power saver')

3. Shut the PC down

4. Turn the PC over and you will see a very small hole at the left front of the air vents

5. Stick a pin in this small hole and hold it down for about 20 seconds

6. Press the power-on button to restart the PC - and pray for no blue screens on restart - I had to weather a few - but hopefully it is just my PC that does it.

If you do get blue screen errors - follow the prompts - I had to restart a couple of times and then it got going again. I hope you don't have the same experience.

If your issue is the same as mine, this will have your PC charging again.

I can empathise with your frustration and I just hope this assists you.

Regards

Peter

Options

5 Posts

01-04-2014

Australia

8 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 3 of 19

2014-01-04, 20:50 PM

One thing I forgot that happened was I ran out of battery when the power first failed on my machine. I have been fighting so many issues it slipped my mind.

Using the pin to hold the reset switch as I stated should be enough to get it working again. I did set the power back to 'Balanced'. No idea if that just made me feel good or did something useful - I am totally over trying to stabilise my own machine just to get it started past multiple BSDs after a normal shutdown and then spontaneous BSD combustion during normal operations when I actually get to use it, to confirm the theory.

Cheers

As a footnote - my Yoga has now electronically failed and will not start properly, although it tries. This somewhat frames (but unclearly) why I was having so many BSD, battery charging and startup issues - and makes the problem very simple to explain and to get it replaced as a DOA. This is my first Lenovo product - if nothing else I now know a considerable amount about Lenovo hardware, Windows 8.1 - and their associated fault diagnostics.

Options

19 Posts

01-20-2014

United Kingdom

17 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 4 of 19

2014-01-21, 15:16 PM

I also noticed today that my LTPY is not charging despite being plugged in. It says that the battery is at 96%, plugged in but not charging. I cant seem to find the settings anywhere to change this. Seems odd that it would be hidden away from us.

Options

2 Posts

03-08-2014

Philippines

24 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 5 of 19

2014-03-08, 8:04 AM

My brand new TPY running Win 8.1 is driving me crazy. It waits until there's 1% power left  to start charging! I thought I'd solved the problem when I installed the latest Lenovo Settings Dependencies. but I was wrong. 

Here's what happened. I used the laptop unplugged until about 40%. Plugged it in, did NOT charge. I restarted my system, plugged and unplugged a couple of times, it did NOT charge. Finally, battery level went down to 1% and it finally STARTED CHARGING.

I tried to plug and unplug a couple of times to see if the battery would stop charging at any level, but it successfully charged until 99%.

I then proceeded to unplug my TPY and use it until battery was at 10%. Plugged it in. It did NOT charge. Again, it waited until power level was 1% before it started charging.

On the side, the time remaining estimates are completely unreliable. It would say something like 4 hours at 96%, then 5 hours at 95% even though I didn't change any setting.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? 

Lenovo,  please come up with a solution!

Options

5 Posts

01-04-2014

Australia

8 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 6 of 19

2014-03-08, 10:09 AM

Just a wild shot to try and help you...

If you have the original Lenovo settings in Windows 8.1, go in and see if you have an option to fully discharge the battery. It should not work if it is there (it was in-place when I first installed my original dud Yoga).

If you have not already done so, turn over the Yoga and put a pin in the small hole below the air vents and hold it down for 20 seconds (same as taking the battery out).

Cheers

Options

5 Posts

01-04-2014

Australia

8 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 7 of 19

2014-03-08, 11:25 AM

It would be useful if I was more articulate - when I said it should not work, I meant the option to run the battery down to 1% and then recharge it again. But it just might have if you chose that option the same as I did when I got my first Yoga that was a dud.

See if you can trun it off again - it is not meant to work on a Yoga S1.

Options

2 Posts

03-10-2014

US

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 8 of 19

2014-03-10, 7:34 AM

I had several Thinkpads when they were made by IBM and always were top of line machines.

This is not a cheap $600 notebook, it is a $ 1.400.00 notebook with an intel I7 - so is consider top of the line.

It is a shame that LENOVO had not fixed this yet.

It is urgent that they same with a solution.

At the initial configuration it asked if I wan to extend the battery life, so it would charge up to 50%.  The problem is that when I want to travel, I can not charge more than 50%.  There is no power management that allows me to chose what to do when I want to.

Very disapointing ! ! !

Options

2 Posts

03-10-2014

US

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 9 of 19

2014-03-10, 7:36 AM

PS: I spent 2 hours on the line with Lenovo support and they could not fix it.

Options

5 Posts

01-04-2014

Australia

8 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2014-03-10, 9:08 AM

If your Yoga is less than 14 days old in Australia, you can call it DOA and get it replaced or have your money back (your choice - not Lenovo's) under consumer law. My first one died within a few days - but had the same issue as you do (and a dozen more different ones before it died after a few days). The help desk tried valiantly to resuscitate it via remote logins, but my Yoga was terminally ill.

I had the devil's own job of getting Lenovo (IBM Malaysia help desk) to issue a DOA number. You have to get assertive to get one - they just DON'T like providing it and leave you feeling stranded like a wet shag on rock wondering what to do next. They want to help at some level - but from my observations they are trained to try you out to see if you will send it back for repairs instead of getting a new one.

They promised to ring back twice and never did about a DOA number - and that is when I firmly and politely refused to go away until I got the number. Their main trick was to tell you their shift supervisor had gone home for the day and so they could not get a DOA number. Logic said that zero supervision was highly unlikely and there would be a fall back somewhere - assuming their supervisor had actually left. I was correct and got results.

Just to add insult to injury, I purchased a ThinkPad Onelink a few weeks after my new Yoga arrived - and it was effectively DOA and had to be replaced. Fortunately some quick questions from the help desk had that replaced without hassle a week later.

This is the first ThinkPad and accessory that I have ever used or purchased - so it was not really very satisfying to say the least. Lenovo's product checking and help desk appears to need a serious overhaul and rethink.

That said, now I have my Yoga and OneLink operational, I quite like it for a bunch of reasons - but I am seriously considering putting their expensive extended warranty on the Yoga, as based on my initial experience with it, I have this nagging doubt about its longevity. And as you pointed out - it is not a cheap notebook.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms