Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-29-2014

new york

2 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad Yoga S1 LCD glass not cracked but dead pixels on upper-right corner of the screen

2014-04-29, 16:40 PM

The upper-right corner of my Yoga Thinkpad has a black triangular spot. The mouse does not appear when I move it to this corner. It seems that this section has dead pixels or the lcd component is broken.

The screen/LCD glass is not cracked. There is no physical crack on the outer glass of the LCD. The laptop has not been dropped. This issue appeared out of no where about a month ago. I posted pics of my issue below.

I sent it for repair to Lenovo and pointed out the affected area. Lenovo called me up to tell me the bad news - they diagnosed the issue as a broken LCD and that it is not covered under warranty. If I want it fixed I would have to pay more than $700 for the replacement screen.

I disputed the repair because I feel that there is a design flaw on these TPYs that caused the LCD to be brake.

If you look on the front cover of the TPY, there is a Thinkpad logo on the botttom-right of the front cover. This logo has a small red indicator light located on top of the letter "i" of the Thinkpad logo. Guess what? Behind this red light indicator (on the opposite side) is the upper-left corner of the LCD screen.

I believe that the mechanism for this red light indicator is protrudes and not properly placed that it can cause the LCD behind it to break if pressure is put on the cover when the lid is closed.

In fact, when I received my TPY back from the Lenovo service center, there is an obvious bump protruding from the Thinkpad logo on the front cover.

As I have mentioned, I am disputing their diagnosis of a broken LCD and not covered by warranty.

If there are other similar cases like mine, please come forward and let us dispute the excess amount of charges Lenovo ask for this issue.

Thank you for reading.

IMG_20140429_122720.jpg   IMG_20140429_122757.jpg  IMG_20140429_122826.jpg

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms