Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-28-2012

Austria

1 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 229

WiFi connectivity issue - ThinkPad Twist

2012-12-28, 13:17 PM

It is sometimes really difficult to connect with my brand-new ThinkPad Twist to WiFi Networks. Very often it does not detect any networks within range. Even though my cell phone finds app. 15 WiFi networks. Usually i can solve this issue by switching flight mode off and on multiple times or re-booting the system several times and forcing the system thereby to scan for available WiFis. Usually the available networks can be found within 10-15 frustrating minutes. I've also tried to place my ThinkPad Twist right next to the router: usually connection can be established faster but sometimes the notebook does not find any Wifi networks even though it is placed right next to it. But once a connection has been established, it is usually quite stable and hardly any interruptions of the WiFi connection occur.

My Twist has a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 built-in. And I have installed all latest Windows 8 updates, Lenovo drivers and I have also installed the latest WiFi driver right from the Intel Website. This issue occurs regardless to which WiFi network I want to connect. Other WiFi devices don't have any problems with detecting and connecting to those WiFi networks I've tried.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Do you think this is a driver problem? Or do you think this is a hardware problem and I should send my notebook back to Lenovo.

Options

6 Posts

12-11-2012

Seattle

18 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 2 of 229

Re: WiFi connectivity issue - ThinkPad Twist

2012-12-28, 17:45 PM

On a related note, my Twist will drop wireless connections randomly throughout the day when other laptops nearby do not.  This happens on both G & N networks.  It only takes about 30 seconds to reconnect, but it does enough damage to my work to make me want to switch to another machine for professional uses.

I have the latest firmware and run Windows Update every day.

Options

1 Posts

12-29-2012

Boston, MA

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 3 of 229

2012-12-29, 2:47 AM
Same here. The networking speed can be as high as 1.5mb/s during the day time, but drops very often. I need to turn the airplane mode on and off every 10 to 15 mins. During the night, I can not achieve a speed more than 5kb/s(basicly 0.5kb/s). But all other devices works normally so I guess that was the laptop's problem. All my drivers are updated and power management was turned to "best performance".
Options

14 Posts

12-29-2012

Slovakia

59 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 4 of 229

2012-12-29, 23:03 PM

This is ridiculous lenovo ! Wifi drop is so annyoing, cant be connected more than 10 minutes, I always have to switch to flight mode and back, than I have to connect to my router manually ... what should I do? I have latest driver too, before I had asus for 3 years without a single wifi drop on the same network, my router is 2 m away from my face! Someone from lenovo could take a look at that 

Options

20 Posts

12-30-2012

USA

46 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 5 of 229

2012-12-30, 3:14 AM

I'm also experiencing issues with frequent wifi dropping. Like others I have had to go into airplane mode or reset the wifi connection. This happens repeatedly, sometimes within 5 minutes. This is extremely frustrating. Especially for a brand new laptop. The driver on the Lenovo support site appears to be the same as was originally loaded on the machine. Can someone from Lenovo please confirm that this is a known issue and that a fix is in progress?

Options

1 Posts

12-30-2012

toronto

2 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 6 of 229

2012-12-30, 4:43 AM

Hi,

I came across the same issue as well "limited connectivity via wi-fi".

I believe the issue was due to pre-installed Norton AV which i just uninstalled.

Not really a techie to be honest, but i kept getting a DCHP error on the Intel Network Card Diagnostic Test.

Hope this helps but i am having no issues/drops on my wi-fi after uninstalling Norton.

I have been using Windows Defender on several of my other computers and it works just as good for AV protection.

Happy New Year!

Options

14 Posts

12-29-2012

Slovakia

59 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 7 of 229

2012-12-30, 10:06 AM

It has nothing to do with norton security or antivirus or whatever it was, I have removed it few weeks ago and here I am with the same problem as many of you.... btw there is a new driver for our wifi card on intel site, I have installed it already, so far no wifi drop. I hope it is ok now forever

Options

615 Posts

12-11-2012

raleigh, nc

299 Signins

8131 Page Views

• Views: 8131
  • Message 8 of 229

2013-01-03, 2:38 AM

Hi voughne,

Would you mind providing the link to that driver and sharing how you configured your system?

Be AWESOME Everyday!

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"

Did someone help you today?
Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

20 Posts

12-30-2012

USA

46 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 9 of 229

2013-01-03, 3:03 AM

I can provide info on my configuration and drivers. I'm currently running a fresh load copy of Windows 8 (from retail disc) on my new SSD. The original hard drive, currently sitting in a box, still has the Lenovo factory install on it. In either case I am using the only drivers I know to be available for my system. Here is a link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032227

The date on that is is mid-October, so I'm assuming it is the original driver. My system appears to have the Broadcom wireless, not the Intel Centrino.

Also wanted to mention I have changed the channel on my wireless router to avoid possible interference from neighboring routers. I also have other wireless devices not experiencing the issues I'm having with the Thinkpad Twist.

Options

615 Posts

12-11-2012

raleigh, nc

299 Signins

8131 Page Views

• Views: 8131
  • Message 10 of 229

2013-01-03, 4:36 AM
 Hi puboilermaker,

What are your Wi-Fi power settings on?

Try pushing them up to the max setting.

Be AWESOME Everyday!

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"

Did someone help you today?
Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms