10-29-2009

UK

122 Signins

733 Page Views

• Views: 733
  • Message 11 of 229

Re: WiFi connectivity issue - ThinkPad Twist

2013-01-03, 10:12 AM

Yep, me too on this issue. I have a new Twist and an old T400. I sit at my desk and the old T400 has a perfect wifi connection that never drops. It is a thoroughly reliable workhorse. The Twist requires me to disable and re-enable the wifi adapter every hour or so on average as I lose the internet connection (which is 4 feet away!). This makes it unreliable and not fit for purpose. Combine that with a faulty keybvoard on the first Twist I bought, and an almost constant whirring variable pitch fan noise from the replacement, and I am getting fed up with Lenovo. What happened to ThinkPad design and build quality? I can't even swap in a better mini-PCI wifi card at my own expense on this machine as Lenovo lock the original card into the BIOS to prevent customers using a different card. I think after a decade of buying nothing but ThinkPads I am about to move my loyalty elsewhere. Enough is enough Lenovo.  

Options

14 Posts

12-29-2012

Slovakia

59 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 12 of 229

2013-01-03, 13:10 PM

I cant provide a link as I used a autodetect hardware and installed all to the latest drivers and now it only says I have latest driver without option to download file but here is the name of the file Wireless_15.5.6_e64.exe . Since driver update from intel site there were 0 wifi drops when running on power cable, or maybe it has something to do that I changed setting in power tab (while I was installing a driver) to never off monitor, drives or never go to sleep mode.  

Options

615 Posts

12-11-2012

raleigh, nc

299 Signins

8131 Page Views

• Views: 8131
  • Message 13 of 229

2013-01-03, 21:09 PM

Greetings All!

After a little research, here is a link to a set of instruction on the proper installation of the software and drivers from an Intel forum.

After that I recommend going into control panel and putting your power setting on max for you wireless adapter rebooting and seeing how it works.

Be AWESOME Everyday!

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"

Did someone help you today?
Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

20 Posts

12-30-2012

USA

46 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 14 of 229

2013-01-04, 2:53 AM

Wifi power is 100%. I have the Broadcom wireless card, driver version 6.30.59.26.

I'm finding its not necessary to go into airplane mode or reset the wireless adapter. If I wait long enough it comes back. The wireless strength icon in the system tray remains at 5 bars the whole time. If I set it to ping the gateway 1000 times, I'm getting between 6-10% packet loss.

Options

26 Posts

10-29-2009

UK

122 Signins

733 Page Views

• Message 15 of 229

2013-01-04, 8:21 AM

Thanks for the idea dmclkenzies, but I'm afraid it made no difference. I removed and clean installed the drivers/software and then set my new Twist to stream audio and had to disable and re-enable the adapter every 30 minutes or so. I'm sure Lenovo will say it's down to local radio interference and nothing to do with them, and to an extent they must be right, we all have machines emitting radio waves around us, but all I can say by way of response is that my old T400, a Dell, and a much older ThinkPad used as a spare, hardly ever drop their wifi connection when used in the same way as the Twist. It is not possible to watch or listen to a programme wihtout re-setting. The otherewise useful Intel WiDi included in the Twist is completely wasted on me for that reason. My conclusion has to be that, as with the numerous complaints on these forums regarding the wifi on other new Lenovo machines, either the latest wif cards used by Lenovo or the way they embed them in their latest machines/operating system, is less robust than with previous generations of Lenovo/IBM machines. This is not the only issue I have had with two recent purchases from Lenovo. Unless Lenovo get their quailty act together and develop machines that are fit for purpose an army of loyal customers are going to vote with their feet and take their money elsewhere. In the meantime, how about taking our problems seriously Lenovo and investigating whether a software fix would help?

Options

26 Posts

10-29-2009

UK

122 Signins

733 Page Views

• Message 16 of 229

2013-01-04, 8:29 AM

Just a me too note, puboilermaker. 5 bars, solid 300Mbps showing, no issues showing re signal strength on InSSIDer3. Of course if Lenovo had provided a 5Ghz dual band card option on the Twist, or the BIOS permission for users to swap in such a card, they might have fewer compaints.

Options

20 Posts

12-30-2012

USA

46 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 17 of 229

2013-01-04, 19:10 PM

Yes, I'm particularly disappointed in Lenovo regarding this laptop. I cannot fathom the reason for the BIOS WLAN card whitelisting. Thinkpads made their name by being supportable, upgradable, expandable, flexible, easy to work on, rock solid business machines. This laptop is almost none of those things. I knew going into it that an ultrabook would sacrifice some of those things. But things like RAM soldered to the board and WLAN being locked in BIOS are intentionally being done to restrict consumers and it's apalling. If Lenovo keeps these kinds of things up, they are going to find that they have trashed theirs and the Thinkpad's name.

Now I'm seriously considering returning this laptop. Fortunately I still have about a week left on my holiday return policy. I may give Lenovo support a call tonight, but I'm afraid they won't be of much help.

Options

22 Posts

12-19-2012

Canada

41 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 18 of 229

2013-01-05, 2:14 AM

One of the Twist issues that I'm suffering, too. 

Weak connection. Drop easily. Fail to load webpage on first attempt.  Have to refresh webpage to load.

According to Device Manager, WAN Miniport (Network #2) is in conflict, but Windows declares it "up-to-date". 

My wireless driver is Intel Centrino Wireless N2230 v15.50.43.  Any idea how to resolve the issue, anyone?

Thanks.

Options

14 Posts

12-29-2012

Slovakia

59 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 19 of 229

2013-01-05, 23:17 PM

go to intel site and update wifi driver ... it helped me, now i have no wifi drops, maybe one in 8 hours

Options

2 Posts

12-15-2012

Seattle, WA

2 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 20 of 229

2013-01-11, 15:57 PM

I struggled with this for days, finally contacted Lenovo support and couldn't resolvet, they overnighted a new WIFI card, I installed (5 minutes) and it totally solved the problem. Runs like a champ now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms