04-21-2014

Germany

21 Signins

252 Page Views

• Views: 252
  • Message 1 of 24

Yoga-14 - Warning: ThinkPad TouchPad unusable because pointer jumps on click

2015-09-23, 10:09 AM

After I bought a ThinkPad Yoga-14 UltraBook 20DM003SGE I realized that the TouchPad is unusable.

Besides a driver issue of the TouchPad with Windows sleep which I describe at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-Yoga-14-ignores-touchpad-settings-after-sleep-on/td-p/2163257

the main problem is that the buttons are integrated and sensitive to the finger position.

Therefore the pointer jumps on every click and so misses the click point.

This is a terrible behavior that makes the Laptop unusable.

It is a pitty that I wasted a lot of money for such a primitive and unuseable hardware.

Therefore I want to report this problem and warn others not to make the same mistake.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Options

30 Posts

04-21-2014

Germany

21 Signins

252 Page Views

• Message 2 of 24

Re: Warning: ThinkPad TouchPad unusable because pointer jumps on click

2015-10-25, 9:22 AM

Another problem with the touchpad is, that is that the front area is much more insensitive to tapping than the back.

But also clicking is not possible in that area because the touchpad can only tilt to the back and so the force is to high to click in the front.

In summary that means the buttons are broken and tapping is broken. So the touchpad is completely screwed up and useless. What a piece of ... Laptop.

What a shame for a Thinkpad. I thought Thinkpads were better not worse.

This is my first Thinkpad and I am very disappointed.

Options

30 Posts

04-21-2014

Germany

21 Signins

252 Page Views

• Message 3 of 24

Warning: ThinkPad Yoga TouchPad very miserable in many ways

2015-10-25, 10:17 AM

After buying a ThinkPad Yoga 14 Laptop I was annoyed by its incredibly poor touchpad which is broken in many ways and has all sorts of problems. I will list them here as a warning to everyone who is considering to get such a Laptop. Some of the problems I already discussed in this forum. Since my list is probably incomplete feel free to add your problems, too.

So here it is:

1. sensitive buttons, which cause a jumping of the pointer
  2. clicking only possible in the back because of tilt design
  3. tapping area in the front is too insensitive
  4. coarse surface causes stuttering of the finger
  5. broken driver in Windows 8.1 after sleep

to 4) The surface of the touchpad is so coarse that it prevents a smooth gliding of fingers but makes it stutter.

Mod's Edit: This posting was merged into an existing discussion of the same concerns.

Options

109 Posts

08-16-2015

Norway

71 Signins

607 Page Views

• Views: 607
  • Message 4 of 24

Re: Warning: ThinkPad Yoga TouchPad very miserable in many ways

2015-10-28, 13:16 PM
I have not even experienced a SINGLE of these shortcomings you describe. I love this TrackPad. I'm more inclined to think that there is some negligent assembly in play here because I've seen that this device has a wide host of (some quite bizarre) problems for some.
Have a good day.
Options

30 Posts

04-21-2014

Germany

21 Signins

252 Page Views

• Message 5 of 24

2015-10-28, 15:54 PM

If you really care about your touchpad and use it as a full replacement for a mouse, which I do since many years, then you should notice all these problems I describe immediately.

Moreover these problems are design flaws and not a result of poor assembly but of a poor design. I don't know what these people where thinking when they developed this touchpad, but they should have never been in charge of it. It is completely screwed up and renders the whole laptop a poor device.

Sorry I have to say this, but it is a piece of ...

And you can't deny these facts I listed above.

Options

109 Posts

08-16-2015

Norway

71 Signins

607 Page Views

• Message 6 of 24

2015-10-28, 16:20 PM
I do use the touchpad almost 100% of the time.

Like I said, I have none of these issues you describe. I love the design, it is solid and well engineered.
Have a good day.
Options

30 Posts

04-21-2014

Germany

21 Signins

252 Page Views

• Message 7 of 24

2015-10-28, 16:23 PM

Sorry, but then you didn't understand what I wrote.

Options

2055 Posts

02-28-2012

EC

1818 Signins

32403 Page Views

• Views: 32403
  • Message 8 of 24

2015-10-28, 16:53 PM

Hi fkbreitl

Are you using your touchpad for some specific job like graphic design, autocad, industrial design that requires a high level of accuracy?

I think that I understand you in some part, but I didn't found the touchpad experience as bad compared to other touchpad laptops. I can not define it as "unusable", specially for normal use on Windows, assuming that you don't have a hardware problem with it.

1) sensitive buttons, which cause a jumping of the pointer

I think you are right on this part, when you "click" (not tap) with one finger on the touchpad to select text for example.  Since you are pressing harder the touchpad to "click" the pointer may move a little bit. It is more accurate if you "click" with two fingers, Index finger on the beginign on the text, thumb finger click on the left button area and you move the index finger to select the text.

I don't find any major cursor shift when you tap, instead of click, but tapping does not works for selecting text.

2) clicking only possible in the back because of tilt design

Clicking is possible on the center of the touchpad and almost at the top, but not on the first 50mm from the top. But I agree with you that clicking on the bottom of the touchpad is more easy (requires less force) that on the top of it.

3) tapping area in the front is too insensitive

I disagree. The taping are is working very good for me. I tap it very gently and it works. Tapping works with the same force on all the touchpad, except on the bottom area where the left and right buttons are suppose to be. 

4)coarse surface causes stuttering of the finger

I disagree with that. Maybe it is something of personal taste.

5) broken driver in Windows 8.1 after sleep

That sucks, but it good you got it working on Windows 10.

Some ideas:

1) Try if you can tweak the Trackpoint options to find somethings that is more usefull for you. There are a lot of options.

2015-10-28 11_44_51-Advanced Settings.png

2) Maybe if you need precision you can learn to use the "Trackpoint". I'm a trackpoint user and I like it a lot, since I don't have to move my fingers from the keyboard to use the mouse. I found it more precise than the trackpad.

The trick for me on the trackpoint to put the "Pointig Speed" to fast to give less force as possible.

I hope this can help.

Good luck

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Options

109 Posts

08-16-2015

Norway

71 Signins

607 Page Views

• Message 9 of 24

2015-10-28, 17:19 PM

hello again martiniturbide, I have to say, I've used the trackpad for some Photoshopping/Illustrator/After Effects (so graphic desgin) as well as some SketchUp (CAD-ish) and I still haven't come across this. Have you?

1) By the way tapping does work for text, try double tapping in the same place in text (don't lift your finger off!) and move the cursor. It works.

If you click on the TrackPad while moving your finger or when your finger is slowing down from movement the cursor jumps around, but I imagine it should do so on most trackpads.

2) Really? I can left click just about anywhere on the TrackPad. For a right click a simple two finger tap will suffice.

3) Tapping works perfectly for me everywhere over a large range of pressures.

4) Personal taste seems more like it.

5) That might be a model issue, martiniturbide. We both have the same model and neither have this problem. Or maybe a freak manufacturing slip-up.

In the end, you have the options to use the TrackPoint, the touchscreen and an external mouse.

Have a good day.
Options

2055 Posts

02-28-2012

EC

1818 Signins

32403 Page Views

• Views: 32403
  • Message 10 of 24

2015-10-28, 17:37 PM

wrote:

hello again martiniturbide, I have to say, I've used the trackpad for some Photoshopping/Illustrator/After Effects (so graphic desgin) as well as some SketchUp (CAD-ish) and I still haven't come across this. Have you?

Hello again Ramthecowy.

I'm a light user of Gimp and Inkscape. I will never use the Touchpad for it, but not because of the Touchpad quality. It is something personal, I have more accurancy with the Trackpoint since it is my prefered pointing device and I have use it since long time ago. (1996?)

Sometimes I have an extermal mouse and even the Lenovo external K5923 Touchpad (which is not great but does his job) when I get tired for using the Trackpoint. 

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms