Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

10-04-2010

United States of America

48 Signins

474 Page Views

• Views: 474
  • Message 1 of 4

help, is my thinkpad yoga dead or fooling me

2016-06-17, 15:20 PM

I've got a 2 plus year old yoga 12 inch CD20 type, I think they were called S1 back then. It has waicom pen and 1900 screen.

I am in France now with horrible service support (unfortunately, my still good warranty is for US depot only, so not international), so I'm hoping I can sort my problem out myself before chasing down a repairman 200 miles away.

here's what happened. yesterday I rebooted after a windows upgrade and the black thinkpad startup screen came on, then on windos start up it spun its wheel at light green/blue screen phase for 15 minutes (thinking maybe it was upgrading again). It wouldn't fully boot into windows, just spun its wheel. So I rebooted several times. Same issue.

It was late, so I rebooted and left it to work itself through, maybe finally healing itself through its loop phase. Woke up this morning and laptop seems dead. No response when I hit turn on button. No red light above thinkpad coming on. And even when I plug in power cord, the red light doesn't come on.

Of course I am hoping the power cable somehow died, but I can't test that locally. Would leaving it on cause the powerboard to fail?

Is there a reset sequence I'm missing. If I could get it to fire up I would do system reset.

Any ideas on what's going on, help?

Answer
Options

12313 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40495 Signins

427309 Page Views

• Views: 427309

Re: help, is my thinkpad yoga dead or fooling me

2016-06-19, 15:50 PM

I would unplug it and push a straightened paper clip into the emergency reset hole on the bottom.  (under the fan louvres)  Hold it for 5 seconds.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(3)
Options

16 Posts

06-14-2016

Czech Republic

62 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 2 of 4

2016-06-18, 8:40 AM

I guess this may indicate a hardware failure, SSD or MB as it was restarting over and over.

I wish you good luck though

David

Answer
Options

12313 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40495 Signins

427309 Page Views

• Views: 427309
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-06-19, 15:50 PM

I would unplug it and push a straightened paper clip into the emergency reset hole on the bottom.  (under the fan louvres)  Hold it for 5 seconds.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

45 Posts

10-04-2010

United States of America

48 Signins

474 Page Views

• Views: 474
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-06-21, 15:03 PM

Thanks for your input Rich. Your suggestion did the trick. I removed my SSD drive and placed in external drive. Then I mounted this to my trusty x200 win 7 machine, which read errors on OS 8.1 (weird because it's window 10). It mounted afterwards so I could extract my documents. After I replaced back in to Yoga S1, punched the reset and it worked!  The reset button had been taped over by Lenovo tag of some sort, so it took some hunting on the net to locate the button. All good. This was a lifesaver as I have a wine article due for World of Fine Wine next week and all my notes from a tour of Georgian amphora winemakers were vital. Now I'm back in business. Double kudos Rich!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms