cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnDutch
Paper Tape
Views: 6,401
Message 1 of 7

2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD) Where is Lenovo's action?

Hi all,

i am discovering the same problem as most people here.

I have an expensive Yoga Thinkpad 12, about 2000,= euro's in januari 2014, warranty endded in januari 2016, my extra 3rd yr warranty i have bought is missing by Lenovo (i forgot the registration but in the mean time i have send the supportdesk from Lenovo al the documents including pincode from the card) and now they say de extra warranty was canceled and / or credited. Nothing of that. poor service for such a great brand.

But now my problem. about 3 weeks ago all of a sudden my SSD stopped and generated this 2100 error. It's a Samsung M27TD256 from the same series as Lenovo mentioned. Because of Lenovo's attitude of not servicing (Oh yes the supportdesk guy said SSD Failure, needs to be replaced for new) i went on to the Internet how to open the machine and without any damage that was no problem. I have a computer repaircentre myself and i tried to replace te Samsung SSD with: a 120 Gb Kingston SSD / a 240 Gb Kingston Fury SSD / an Intel 120 Gb SSD. All brand new, right out of stock, non will work !!!

So i took the old original SSD, tested it in another PC and it works perfectly, i could install Win 10 and boot from it.

I put it bak in the Yoga... nothing. the 2100 error again.

So i thought it would be the mailboard or controller but curious a i am, i took an old 250 Gb harddrive, no SSD and guess what....... The Yoga booted up without any error messages, external DVD connected and i could install an OS (whatever, Win8, Win10) no problem.

Then i did the same trick with a regular WD 650 harddrive. Same story, worked perfectly. So the mainboard neither the controller isn't damaged.

I phoned Samsung about the SSD and they say that the 256 !!! Gb series are OEM and the firmware on it is completly Lenovo's. Samsung doesn't even support the firmware on those drives because that will probably kill them.

My conclusion, it's a structural problem caused by Lenovo self and they have to call the machines with problems back to their repair centres to repair them for free.

i'm almost certain that all your machines doesn't have a hardware failure but it's a software problem.

Who is gonna bring them to court? I can prove what i have tested.

Or you can replace all your SSD's for HD's and use your systems.

I am courious for Lenovo's reaction.

sl320
What's DOS?
Views: 6,036
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD) Where is Lenovo's action?

I had the same problem on a S230U Lenovo Twist. I replaced the MB and the HDD and the HD connector/controller and had the same problem. By accident, as a result of testing I installed the HD without the bracket that holds it in place. Voila it has not failed once since then. It has been running flawlessly for 2 months or more now. I havent bothered to reinstall the bracket since it is running great. There is almost no extra room in the HD compartment so I am not worried about it flopping around. Only thing I can figure is there is some kind of static buildup with the bracket installed. I tried bending the bracket to see if I could make it contact the MB to discarge static if that was the case. No good. Removed the bracket, and it worked immediately. I don't know if that will work for you but it worked for me.

HanifPayandeh
What's DOS?
Views: 5,984
Message 3 of 7

HOLY COW!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much.

I had installed a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD in my lenovo twist s230u a few months ago and it was running great!... for 3 or 4 days. Then it started to not boot up or when it booted it would crash and was overall unusable. I tested the drive in my PC and it was fine. I tested the old HDD in the Twist and IT was fine. I was at my rope's end.

I noticed that if I took the drive out a few times and reinstalled it, it would work sporadically.

Just now I was about to give up and accept that it would only work with the HDD when I happened across your post. I took of the metal retainer and NOW IT WORKS!!!

You are a GOD among men. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I know it didn't take long but it would have been so easy NOT to do it.

I am forever in your debt. If you're ever in Los Angeles, I will buy you a beer.

My humble thanks.

-Hanif

BeEarnest
Paper Tape
Views: 5,046
Message 4 of 7

I suffer from the same problem with my s1 yoga (CD20...).

It was allready in repair once but now after less than a year the error is back.

I checked on the connection cable and that did help for a moment.

But once I screwed the case shut, the error reappeared.

Most amusingly once I opened the case it worked again.

After some tests I found that leaving two screws out was enough to make the BSOD and Boot errors negibile.

For now I taped over the case, but that is certainly no long term solution.

The system is still not reliable and the physical stability of the case is impaired.

It seems to be indeed a design issues with the case construction and the placement of the HDD.

The HDD sits at the right corner of the case and most user being right handed, hold it at that corner, when flipping the screen into tablet mode or handling the yoga in tablet mode.

I guess that the case is simply not stiff enough to handle that resulting in load on the hdd connection and or the mainboard and the case itself creating wear and tear... 

Shame to be honest. 

jrobsea
Paper Tape
Views: 5,008
Message 5 of 7

I had this error on my thinkpad twist s230u.  I'm 2 days in with no more errors after cleaning the hard drive connectors with isopropyl alcohol and reseating the hard drive connector onto the main board.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get another year or two out of this 3-4 year old laptop.

It looks like most of the responders have similar issues.  The hard drive is turns out to be fine, but there is an issue with the electrical connections.

jharrellz
What's DOS?
Views: 3,118
Message 6 of 7

Not thoroughly tested yet, but drive seems to boot fine without plastic cage/screw.  Did have bad block errors in Event Viewer, so it seems like it's on the way out, either way, but, there's somethin funky goin on w/the cage setup.  Swapped w/another cage, same result.

WEIRD!

JohnDutch
Paper Tape
Views: 3,076
Message 7 of 7

In addition to my first post, if you have a Yoga (or other Lenovo with the same possibillities) remove the original SSD and replace it for a m.2 SSD. almost all Yoga's have 1 or 2 m.2 interfaces on board. I did this since my last post (year ago now) and never had a fail since then. My Yoga is stable and works perfectly. I put in a regular Samsung 256 Gb m.2 SSD.

this proofs that the regular SSD bracket is very instable and causes many errors. Even if you have a Lenovo workstation with the 2100 error, look at your mainboard if there is a m.2 interface and replace your SSD for a m.2 SSD.

Good luck

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors