cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stinkbug
Paper Tape
Views: 224,854
Message 1 of 44

2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga, with a 256GB SSD and an i5 processor.

I received it on April 29. After two weeks of normal use, it crashed and gave this error:

“2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)”

I could not get it to boot. I took it to a computer repair shop and they (Lenovo warrantee) replaced the SSD. It worked for about a week, then crashed again, same error. My tech guy said that it might be a bad board, frying hard drives; but Lenovo insisted on replacing the hard drive again. Ten days later, same crash. I unplugged it and put it on a shelf for the weekend, intending to take it back to the shop. Monday morning I plugged it in and it started up normally.

It has been working normally for three days, but I am worried about getting the same error and crash. Can you tell me what might be happening, and if there is anything I can do to prevent a recurrence?

This seems to be a common problem across many machine models, but I haven't found any solutions to it.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 224,373
Message 2 of 44

Re: 2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

The connector or the data controller board could be shortcurcuiting the ssd.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
stinkbug
Paper Tape
Views: 224,369
Message 3 of 44

But wouldn't that irreversibly fry the drive?

Why would it start working again?

If that's the problem, what do I need to do? Replace the board?

stinkbug
Paper Tape
Views: 224,267
Message 4 of 44

Could someone who knows something about this apparently common problem please reply?

Sloppyburpfest
Paper Tape
Views: 224,045
Message 5 of 44

Hey Stinkbug,

I don't know the answer but I completely sympathize with your pain.  I'm part of an IT department which is rolling out T440s's with Samsung SSD HDDs (MZ7TD256HAFV) and we've had 20% - 30% of them come up with the 2100: Detection error within the first 24 hours to first week of service.

We've tried RMAing the HDDs

Updating firmware

Updating the Lenovo divers and software

Swapping HDDs into different laptops

Running stress tests

Tried them on docking stations and off docking stations

Nothing seems to help, besides rebooting the machine, crying over unsaved data and lost time, then just moving on with life.

There seems to be no clear reason why they throw this error at this time.  If we could trigger it we could troubleshoot it more easily.  So at this point we're just gathering as many serial numbers as we can, we're running every test we can think of and scouring the web for ideas.  We are trying to build a case / have a good argument ready and call Lenovo to put an end to this nonsense.  However since we can't nail down the cause, it's going to be difficult case to make at this point.

The only common factors here are they are all Lenovo laptops and all have Samsung SSDs.

-Sloppy

christophmue
Paper Tape
Views: 223,942
Message 6 of 44

T520 with OCZ Vector and OCZ Vertex... same problem. AAAAAaaaaarr. Unbeliveable!

[edit] OCZ Vertex with latest firmware works...! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 223,909
Message 7 of 44

Hi Sloppy,

There's an updated tip that may help with your issue:  ThinkPad may bluescreen and reboot to a POST error 2100

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Sloppyburpfest
Paper Tape
Views: 223,899
Message 8 of 44

Thanks!

Funny, my post was dated 7/15/2014.  That article is dated 7/17/2014.  Someone might be listening Smiley Wink

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT082504

Will test it out, hopefully it works.

-Sloppy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 223,894
Message 9 of 44

@Sloppyburpfest wrote:

Funny, my post was dated 7/15/2014.  That article is dated 7/17/2014.  Someone might be listening Smiley Wink

I'd prefer to think of it as masterful moderation Smiley LOL

Please let us know how it goes - either way.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Sloppyburpfest
Paper Tape
Views: 223,802
Message 10 of 44

LOL, I applied the patch then reboted.  The laptop came back with athe 2100 error!  Too funny!  Smiley Very Happy

I'll try powering it off, leaving it off for a few minutes then restarting it.

-Sloppy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors