Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cadaei
Token Ring
Views: 823
Message 1 of 2

5 months...and hard drive has failed

Hello, two days ago my Lenovo Twist S230u laptop started to freeze a lot, especially when I tried to multitask (like switching to a separate window). It probably took ten minutes each time for the computer to unfreeze and continue.

Prior to this incident, the in-built 'Lenovo Solutin Center' software ran an automatic diagnostic test, and said that the laptop failed the SMART short-self test (unfortunately I forgot to copy the error code). I didn't think much of it at the time since my laptop is only 5-months old. Just in case, I performed a disk cleanup, disk defrag and made sure everything is up to date. This was when the laptop began to freeze quite a lot. In desperation (and stupidity), I typed the chkdsk /r command in command prompt and asked it to run at reboot. Apparently the SMART short self test is a physical problem rather than a software problem, so obviously chkdsk won't help.

chkdsk ran for about two days now which is clearly too long for a 500gb HDD laptop. I've only used about half of this space too. I forced a shut down and now I cannot access Windows 8.1 through the boot menu (it just hangs on a black screen). Loading a rebootable USB recovery drive is not doing anything too.

I previously sought support on the Microsoft Answers website. They said that my 'hard disk is failing' and I will need to have my HDD replaced.

I just want a second opinion here. Is warranty valid under this circumstance? From what I remember, 'Lenovo Solution Center' said I still had a few hundred days of warranty left on the machine. 

Thank you for your time.

Cadaei
Token Ring
Views: 791
Message 2 of 2

Re: 5 months...and hard drive has failed

Never mind. I've contacted Lenovo and they said they are able to replace the HDD under the current warranty agreement. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors