01-14-2014

Australia

14 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 1 of 2

5 months...and hard drive has failed

2014-06-30, 9:55 AM

Hello, two days ago my Lenovo Twist S230u laptop started to freeze a lot, especially when I tried to multitask (like switching to a separate window). It probably took ten minutes each time for the computer to unfreeze and continue.

Prior to this incident, the in-built 'Lenovo Solutin Center' software ran an automatic diagnostic test, and said that the laptop failed the SMART short-self test (unfortunately I forgot to copy the error code). I didn't think much of it at the time since my laptop is only 5-months old. Just in case, I performed a disk cleanup, disk defrag and made sure everything is up to date. This was when the laptop began to freeze quite a lot. In desperation (and stupidity), I typed the chkdsk /r command in command prompt and asked it to run at reboot. Apparently the SMART short self test is a physical problem rather than a software problem, so obviously chkdsk won't help.

chkdsk ran for about two days now which is clearly too long for a 500gb HDD laptop. I've only used about half of this space too. I forced a shut down and now I cannot access Windows 8.1 through the boot menu (it just hangs on a black screen). Loading a rebootable USB recovery drive is not doing anything too.

I previously sought support on the Microsoft Answers website. They said that my 'hard disk is failing' and I will need to have my HDD replaced.

I just want a second opinion here. Is warranty valid under this circumstance? From what I remember, 'Lenovo Solution Center' said I still had a few hundred days of warranty left on the machine. 

Thank you for your time.

Solved! See the solution
Options

10 Posts

01-14-2014

Australia

14 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: 5 months...and hard drive has failed

2014-07-01, 7:13 AM

Never mind. I've contacted Lenovo and they said they are able to replace the HDD under the current warranty agreement. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save