Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K3xqP6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,183
Message 1 of 8

Accidentally broke capacitor from motherboard

I accidentally broke off a capacitor on the motherboard of my Lenovo S540 Thinkpad (model 20B3CTO1WW).

I've attached a pic of the capacitor. It had C2434 written next to it on the board, and 3D5 VLPS on the actual capacitor itself. It it located to the bottom left of the CPU fan and above the Wireless card.

The laptop has booted fine and I've not noticed any problems, but should I be worried?

How can I fix this? Can I just glue it? It kind looks like it was only held on my glue keeping it metal negative and positive connectors with those of the board....

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,174
Message 2 of 8

Re: Accidentally broke capacitor from motherboard

It was not glued, but surface mount soldered.  If it is intact, it might be resoldered, but you would need a rework station to do it correctly.  Without a circuit diagram it is hard to know the function.  It looks like it is sitting next to the fan.  It might be a starting capacitor.  (just a guess)  Without it, power circuitry may fail eventually, or the fan might spin up slowly, triggering an error.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
K3xqP6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,169
Message 3 of 8

OK, I guess the glue residue was for thermal conductivity or something then? There was certainly some underneath it.

Is there a way to get the circuit diagram of the mobo to work out for sure what this does?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,161
Message 4 of 8

I wish there were, but no

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

K3xqP6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,159
Message 5 of 8

OK. If that's the case, then final question: can I solder this back on with a regular soldering kit then? or do I need some special "surface mounted solder" or something?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,158
Message 6 of 8

It is a multi-layer board and the lead-free solder has a very high melting point, so it is difficult.  A rework station is best.  If I were going to try with a "normal" soldering iron, I would try to get a tiny amount of soldering paste to put on the pads, instead of using regular solder.  It would melt more easily and contains flux.  I would put the paste on, then the capacitor, and then use the iron.  No guarantee that this will wory.

Rich

K3xqP6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,122
Message 7 of 8

If it helps at all I found the motherboard was VIUS6 LA A171P  and the vendor GNC. I haven't been able to find a circuit diagram for this online yet however to identify C2434.

It would just be nice to know if this is going to lead to a catastrophe in a few weeks/months, or if it's some benign component, perhaps it's even something to do with the M2 SSD slot which is also very close? (I don't currently use an SSD HDD so I wouldn't notice if the slot stopped working...)

K3xqP6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,118
Message 8 of 8

If it's at all helpful, here is a another pic, this time it shows fan top right, the SSD space top left, and the Intel wifi chip bottom-centre. To me it looks like a line from the capacitor mount point to the Intel wifi chipset, so maybe it could even be to do with that?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors