Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Secumfex
Paper Tape
Views: 1,881
Message 1 of 5

Active Pen issues in Photoshop with Tinkpad S3 Yoga 14

Hi,
I'm experiencing issues with my Lenovo Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 (20DM008FGE) when using its Wacom AES pen with Adobe products.
In Photoshop CS6, the pen gets "stuck" for some time when tapping a GUI-Element or pressing a pen button.

Pen-pressure works as expected when the pen isn't stuck.

I've made some gifs to get a better understanding of the experienced behaviour.

http://imgur.com/zPduNYI

http://imgur.com/qDhYPrW

Sketchbook, Krita works fine.

I've already tried various versions of pen drivers, from wacom, from lenovo, but no luck.

Kind regards

Guru
Views: 1,846
Message 2 of 5

Re: Active Pen issues in Photoshop with Tinkpad S3 Yoga 14

Hi.

Welcome to the forums. I don't have a formal answer, just some tips to try to find out where the problem is going on.

1.- Just to be sure what kind of pen are you using, the one included on the Thinkpad? the Thinkpad Pen Pro? If you can find some model number of the pen write on it it will be great (just to be sure about it).

2.- You tried other software and it is working fine, right? Maybe you can also try Inkscape or Gimp just to give it a try and narrow down the issue that is some problem between Wacom and the Adobe Photoshop. On that case it will be better to try to find the techniques of configuring Photoshop for Wacom Pens. 

3.- The other idea will be to check the Wacom Driver installed, I know you tried several, but it will be great if you can go to "Windows Device Manager" and check the complete version of the driver you are using now (or maybe even an screenshot). Just to compare it with other people that uses the same Thinkpad, Pen and Photoshop.

This are only ideas to help you find more information. I'm also not a Photoshop user, sorry that is it not a final solution.

Regards.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Secumfex
Paper Tape
Views: 1,832
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your response!

1. It's the Thinkpad Pen Pro, there is no version info or comparable, though.

2. Trying out differnt things, will edit in findings later, due to next point:

3. I've been trying more drivers and actually found one that does not expose the issues in question.

Currently, I have WinTab driver version 7.2.1-27 installed.

The next version I found, 7.3.1-4, does have the issues, aswell as the current Wacom Feel driver 7.3.2-12.

7.2.1-27, however, shows problems that seem to correlate with this thread: pen pressure w/ lenovo thinkpad s1 yoga

Is there any driver version between 7.2.1-27 and 7.3.1? Can't find a legacy driver list from Lenovo or Wacom...

Guru
Views: 1,828
Message 4 of 5

Hi

I have this:

- Thinkpad Yoga 14 (20DM008UUS)

- Thinkpad Pen Pro (4X80H34887)

But I don't have Photoshop and I'm not a drawing expert that uses at its full capacity.

I think I uninstall WinTab driver on the past because someone suggest it may be a compatibility issue if I installed the Wacom drivers. So, I can not find the WinTab drivers on my "Installed Windows Application".

I may be horrible wrong, but I will try the following in your case:

1) Uninstall WinTab Drivers.

2) Check if the pen works or not and test Photoshop again.

3) If not: Try again installing WinTabDrivers 7.3.1-11

http://support.lenovo.com/ec/es/downloads/ds103524

4) Check if it works or not and test Photoshop again.

or instead of using the WinTad Drivers;

3) Try again installing Wacom Feel Driver 7.3.1-12

I'm sharing with your some of my driver screenshots for you to check itout.  I will also try on my machine the Wacom Feel Driver 7.3.1-12 to see how it works.

2016-04-27 14_54_58-Lenovo Companion.png2016-04-27 14_56_41-New notification.png2016-04-27 14_57_10-New notification.png2016-04-27 15_04_49-Lenovo Companion.png

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Secumfex
Paper Tape
Views: 1,793
Message 5 of 5

I've now tried more drivers, including those you mentioned:

- 7.3.1-11

- 7.3.2-12 (once by Lenovo, provided for Yoga 460, and once by Wacom, labeled Wacom Feel)

but it appears that all drivers beginning with 7.3. are buggy.

In my device manager, not all devices you pictured are listed, but the ones that are have the same version numbers as yours (HID-compliant digtizer).

I've also tried test versions of Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CC with the 7.3.2-12 drivers.

Photoshop CS5 has the same (or even more severe) issues with the pen.

Photoshop CC works flawlessly.

Additionally, I tried Gimp, Inkscape, Krita and Sketchbook with the 7.3.2-12 drivers, all of which work flawlessly.

So overall, version 7.2.1-27 is the best option I have, how ever this version shows pressure sensitivity issues, which randomly goes up to 100%.
It seems to happen more often, when the pen rests on the spot shortly, before moving: http://i.imgur.com/b13kThy.png

Overall performance, precision and palm-rejection is also much worse in this version.

Perhaps I should post the issue on the adobe forums aswell.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors