cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WNeuetc
Paper Tape
Views: 727
Message 1 of 2

Adding An M.2 SSD to my ThinkPad Yoga 12.5-Inch Convertible Ultrabook (20CD00B1US)

I have a ThinkPad Yoga 12.5-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (20CD00B1US) running Windows 8.1 that came factory equipped with a 256 GB SATA SSD (Samsung 2.5" SATA III) and I need additional storage capacity (mainly for storing photos).  I initially intended to replace the original SSD with a larger SSD (specifically a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 1TB  SSD), but then discovered that my ThinkPad Yoga had provision for installing a M.2 drive. 

Will the ThinkPad Yoga 12.5-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (20CD00B1US) support two drives - that is, will I be able to access both the original SATA III SSD (as the boot drive) and the M.2 drive (as a data storage drive)?  If so, how will this secondary drive affect the computer's overall performance?  (I realize that power consumption will go up a bit with a second SSD, but since I use it on AC power most of the time, that's not an issue.) 

(** I appologize for accidentally posting this to the Lenovo Android Tablets forum.  I'm new here and didn't realize I had entered the wrong sub-forum**)

-Wes

IvanFerrer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 238
Message 2 of 2

Re: Adding An M.2 SSD to my ThinkPad Yoga 12.5-Inch Convertible Ultrabook (20CD00B1US)

Hi.

Sorry for replying an old question (I was looking for the same!)

I tryed with the Kingspec SSD model in the link and it works flawlessly.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/kingspec-NGFF-42-22-SSD-32GB-64GB-128GB-256GB-Mini-Pcie-Solid-State-...

Item desc.: kingspec NGFF 42*22 SSD 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB Mini Pcie Solid State Drive for Thinkpad E531 S5 T440S for lenovo With channel

(you know how Aliexpress descriptions are. Please check what you buy!)

89 euros for the 512Gb one.

My Thinkpad Yoga 12 has now one Samsung EVO SSD 512Gb and this little thing. I copied files between them at around 400Mb/s.

At first it wouldn't boot to Windows 10 giving a black screen. BIOS recognized both, but no success on booting.

I've had to boot using an Ultimate Boot CD to create both the msdos partition table and one NTFS partition.

After that, Windows booted as normal, recognizing it.

I hope this Kingspec lasts some time (there are both bad and good comments about it online).

Let's also see what does the battery (I use to work with the TP plugged to AC)

Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors