cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheYan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 287
Message 1 of 6

After update ThinkPad Yoga, 20CD cannot POST!

After running updates the computer will no longer POST.

Turning on power only boot cycles (turns on for 3 seconds, turns off, turns on etc.), screen is black, no POST.

Possibly a BIOS update fail? Need to spend a grand to get a new MB??

Tried removing the battery, drain power, use only power cord. No luck.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 264
Message 2 of 6

Re: After update ThinkPad Yoga, 20CD cannot POST!

I wish they would stop pushing BIOS updates other than at the request and guidance of support, they seem to fail too often and brick far too many systems.       You can usually perform a Boot Block Recovery on modern motherboards, but I do not think Lenovo has implemented that technology on their laptops for security reasons, but you might still check with Lenovo Support to see if they have any options short of replacing the system board. 

BTW:   Does your system have the emergency reset hole on the back side of the case, and if so have you tried unplugging it from the power supply, and then pressing it for about 10 seconds or so?  (see item #1 on page 46 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual)

Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/s1_yoga_hmm_en_sp40a26742_01.pdf

TheYan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 260
Message 3 of 6

Yes I've tried that by turning on the laptop on battery and pressing it. It only shuts it down or at least there is no change after doing so.
TheYan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 258
Message 4 of 6

Stupid that they don't have a fail safe (reset bios to default state when bricked button!)... All they can say: out of warranty - your problem mate.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 250
Message 5 of 6

Yeah, it sucks, but I think that they did that to prevent someone from bypassing the boot and bios passwords should the laptop get stolen, but it does nothing to protect your data on the HD which, unless the HD is encrypted, is still accessable anyway.   You should be able to find a system board for about $250 USD or so, but putting it is is a pain.

Good luck,

TheYan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 245
Message 6 of 6

I believe it should also be possible to solder a new BIOS chip... complete pain and no legitimate reason why this feature is not available on this mb.
Top Kudoed Authors