Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rubisco
What's DOS?
Views: 1,019
Message 1 of 2

Alt+ Codes on Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460

Hi,

I am looking for a solution, uncomplicated and straightforward, to type special characters which I used to do via Numeric Keypad and Alt-Codes. Combinations of Fn+Alt have not worked for me. I would be greatful for a short answer.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 978
Message 2 of 2

Re: Alt+ Codes on Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460

Modern ThinkPads do not have the ability to emulate the numeric keypad using the Fn key.

Your options include:

• finding an alternative in your application software, such as the Symbol feature of many Microsoft Office applications, configuring AutoCorrect to change a series of characters into your desired character, or using the Shortcut Keys feature to build your own shortcut
  • using an external USB numeric pad
  • using an external Bluetooth numeric pad (I'm not sure these are still available new, but they are around - Microsoft used to make one; I just tried mine with Windows 10 Pro and it worked OK with Alt + number codes, though with the quirk that you have to strike another number on the numeric pad after releasing Alt to get your character)
  • use keyboard macro software (I like AutoHotKey - it's fairly straightforward if all you want is keyboard macros)

I hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors