Options

19 Posts

08-09-2014

US

26 Signins

209 Page Views

• Views: 209
  • Message 1 of 35

Are there 2 drive bays in the Thinkpad Yoga? (The 12.5", S1 series I believe)

2015-05-02, 4:44 AM

I want to add 1 TB HDD just for storage to a unit with a 256 SSD.  Can't find a definite answer on if I can do this.  Some review video indicated you could but can't verify this.  I did find a 2.5" 7mm HDD on Amazon ... hoping this would work.

If anyone has an answer, or can steer me in the right direction for info, I'd appreciate it!

Solved! See the solution
Options

611 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6193 Signins

23692 Page Views

• Views: 23692
  • Message 2 of 35

Re: Are there 2 drive bays in the Thinkpad Yoga? (The 12.5", S1 series I believe)

2015-05-02, 5:37 AM

One drive bay that can fit a 2.5" 7mm drive, and one slot for M.2 SSD, 42mm I believe. I think something like this would work: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MTS400-Solid-State-TS256GMTS400/dp/B00KLTPUG4/   Unfortunately there's no way to use your 2.5" SSD plus a 2.5" HDD at the same time with the ThinkPad Yoga.  

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

19 Posts

08-09-2014

US

26 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 3 of 35

Re: Are there 2 drive bays in the Thinkpad Yoga? (The 12.5", S1 series I believe)

2015-05-02, 16:20 PM

Wow, someone with a simple answer!  I've researched everywhere, talked with chat, etc.  Thank you!

It would certainly help to add a 256 GB SSD, but I have another thought.  I could buy this 256 SSD for the M.2 slot, also buy a 1 TB HDD for the 2.5" bay, resulting in exactly what I wanted.  Then, I could probably sell the 2.5" 256 SSD on Ebay.  But, I don't know how I'd get the operating system onto the new SSD drive, and all the Lenovo stuff.  Any suggestions on that?  Any easy way?

Options

611 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6193 Signins

23692 Page Views

• Message 4 of 35

2015-05-02, 18:06 PM

You're welcome! You could definitely do that. I did read somewhere that these M.2 SSD's are not as fast as the 2.5" drives. Personally I decided it was not worht the trouble, so I bought a $375 1TB SSD instead, and got rid of the M.2. 

If you do want to put the OS on the M.2 I think you can make a drive image with something like the free EaseUS Todo backup, or any other free drive imaging software. I think you would have to change the BIOS setting somehow to tell the TPY to boot from the M.2. I haven't done this myself, so you'd have to do some more online searches. 

I started out with similar plans to yours, but I decided having a fast OS drive and not having any moving parts in my TPY plus having slightly better battery life were more important than the extra 256GB and the cost savings. My process: remove both drives, replace with empty 2.5" 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850 1TB), buy USB 3.0 stick, use Microsoft's free OS install USB generator, download wifi driver for the TPY (not included in the Win8.1 install files..), put the wifi driver on the USB stick as well, start the install from USB, somewhere during the install use the option 'load driver', get the wifi driver from the USB stick, and everything went smoothly from there. The install finds the OS key in the BIOS, so you don't need a serial number. After install you can download the System Updater from Lenovo, which allows you to add any Lenovo utilities that you think you need. 

And finally, this video might help. It's in German, but it's pretty self explanatory. Except near the end he does something scary with a knife to put it all together, which I didn't need to do. The M.2 SSD is shown at about 2min30 seconds into the video. 

Edit: by the way, some of the screws in the TPY back plate and those of the HDD caddy where super tight, so be very careful not to strip those. Get a fitting screw driver with a decent size handle, and push down hard on the screw as you rotate counterclockwise. I had real trouble with some of them!

Options

19 Posts

08-09-2014

US

26 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 5 of 35

2015-05-02, 18:59 PM
You have a good point there, but I can't afford to add that big a SSD.

I have done a clean install before but it's still a bit confusing, don't know if I used that MS install generator or not. But, once I have the OS on the USB drive, and the wifi drivers, is that all I need? Then I can get all Lenovo drivers and updates as a download?

I just want to understand so I don't run into problems later, as I will have to re-format the original SSD before I install the new drives. Want to be sure I have everything I need on the USB stick first!

Thanks so much, you've been super helpful!
Options

611 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6193 Signins

23692 Page Views

• Message 6 of 35

2015-05-02, 19:06 PM

wrote:
I have done a clean install before but it's still a bit confusing, don't know if I used that MS install generator or not. But, once I have the OS on the USB drive, and the wifi drivers, is that all I need? Then I can get all Lenovo drivers and updates as a download?

I'm pretty sure that's all you need, but I haven't done an install to the M.2 drive myself. I would do some more internet searches to be safe, or wait to see if anyone else here has more advice. As for getting all the Lenovo stuff, as far as I can tell everything shows up as suggested updates once you run the Lenovo System Updater, which you can download. By the way, the first gen and second gen are almost identical, so if you find an install guide for the 1st gen, it will also apply for the 2nd gen, apart from maybe the exact version of the wifi driver you need. 

Options

611 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6193 Signins

23692 Page Views

• Message 7 of 35

2015-05-02, 19:10 PM

You could read through these threads: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/S-Series-ThinkPads-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-Yoga-disk-replace-SSD-SATA-vs-M-2/td-p/1394523

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/thinkpad-yoga-12-2nd-gen-500gb-w-16gb-ssd-m-2-upgrade.772557/

Options

19 Posts

08-09-2014

US

26 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 8 of 35

2015-05-02, 21:07 PM
Thanks, I will look at them in a bit. All this research takes time!
Options

7716 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76837 Signins

2153998 Page Views

• Views: 2153998
  • Message 9 of 35

2015-05-03, 2:18 AM

Joe's got you headed in the right direction.  I'll add a couple of things.

When installing  to an m.2 drive you should probably have the other drive (original SSD or new HDD) removed.  Windows installers can get creative about where the boot partition goes and you want to make sure everything goes on the new SSD.  Same thing applies to Lenovo recovery media.  It may insist on installing to the drive in the main slot if it's still in place.

That brings me to my 2nd point: you can make recovery media and use it to install to the m.2 drive. That way you get  everything that was originally on the main drive.  You won't get the recovery partition (there may be ways to finesse that - I'm working on a write-up) but you wouldn't get that with a clean install either.

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

FWIW, I'm quite fond of the SSD OS drive + a spinner for data.  You can set the HDD to spin down when idle and save power and noise.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

19 Posts

08-09-2014

US

26 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 10 of 35

2015-05-03, 22:46 PM

I'm trying to decide which direction to go, either just a 1 TB SSD, or a 1 TB HDD and a 256 GB SSD.  The only M.2 42mm 256 SSD I've found at a decent price is a Transcend MTS400 TS256GMTS400 M.2 256GB SATA III MLC.   I like that it has Smart Response Technology (ISRT), a caching mechanism, which allows a SATA Solid-State Drive (SSD) to function as cache for a mechanical hard disk drive.  But not quite as fast as the Samsung EVO or Pro.  There's also a well-priced ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900NS34-256GM-C, and a MyDigitalSSD 256GB Super Boot Drive 42mm SATA III (6G) M.2 2242 NGFF, but I feel the Transcend may be the best bet for a 256 M.2 drive.  Comments?  Need to keep in mind that this isn't my main computer, I use my desktop for all my heavy work, Photoshop, Lightroom, web design, some video editing, etc.  But, I want this for versatility and portability, and as a back-up computer if my desktop were to crash.  I still need to function.

I'm a bit unclear about various ways to set up the new OS drive.  How does using recovery media differ from "cloning"?  Or other methods?  Will recovery media install software and data files as well as the OS?  Doesn't cloning do that too?  So confusing.

Lastly, this question probably should be a new thread but I'm asking just because of your comment about liking a SSD for the OS and HDD for data.  I built my first desktop last fall, dual boot 8.1 Pro and Win 7 for some old games, etc.  I put in a 2 TB HDD, but now wondering if I should add a SSD and move the 8.1 OS to it, as well as install Photoshop, Lightroom and Sony Movie Studio Platinum on it.  If so, would a 256 GB SSD be sufficient as an addition to the system?  Here are the specs of that system:

Western Digital 2 TB SATA III Black, WD2003FZEX
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 motherboard
    AMD FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition processor
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 (Windforce) -3GD Rev:2.0 graphics
    G.SKILL Sniper Series F3-1866C9D-16GSR memory - 16 GB
    Rosew​ill CAPS​TONE Seri​es CAPS​TONE-​750 power supply
    COOLE​R MAST​ER HAF XM (+ extra side fan)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (replaced the stock CPU cooler with this)
    Also has optical drive, SSD cards, multiple 3.0/2.0 USB, wifi/bluetooth, etc.

I'm very pleased with this system (and kind of proud of designing and building it from scratch with no one to help!), but am now realizing that adding a SSD would probably really help when doing intensive photo/video editing.  Would appreciate comments and advice.  Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save