Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,135
Message 1 of 52

Bad CPU Performance X380 Yoga

Hi Lenovo Community,

I'm facing pretty strange CPU Performance problems on the X380 Yoga with i7-8550U CPU. The CPU performance becomes very bad after some operating time. I understand the X380 has a limited cooling capacity, but this behaviour is pretty strange.

Environment: X380 Yoga, i7-8550U, 16GB Memory, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 1703 Enterprise, SCCM Driver Package used for image building and installation. Bios Version 1.14 installed (most recent one). Drivers are all checked, and are the most recent version. Speed Step Settings in Bios are on Max Performance, on OS also on Max performance. Running Standard Office applications, like Outlook, Skype, Firefox and some management tools.

After system boot everything is performing fine for about 1 hour. (I wasn't able to  record the exact time so far). After this, the system starts to get really slow, and shows a bad response time. As soon as some CPU load is applied, the CPU clock in Task Manager goes down, also the CPU load is not able to reach 100%. The CPU Temperature does not go over about 60° at this point. Directly after the system start it goes up to about 85°C.

I monitored the CPU with HWMonitor, and put some stress to the Laptop using Prime 95. After some minutes Torture Test I see following values in HWMonitor (see attachment Prime 1.jpg)

After about 1 hour run time, I see following: (see attachment Prime 2.jpg)

So, the CPU Clock is far down, all temperatures are not really high, not even the fan is doing full speed. CPU Load in taskmanager shows 30% at this point.

If I stop Prime 95, the CPU Clock comes up again, but however, as soon as I apply load, it goes down to 6-800 MHZ. It looks like the overall CPU Power does not go over 5W at this point. Only for very short peaks it goes higher, as soon as some load come onto the CPU, Clock drops far down, and CPU Power seems to be reduced to 5W. After a reboot, its kind of reset, and the system operates at full power again for about an hour.

I have tried the same with a brand new X380 Yoga, straight out of the box, with the stock image installed. The behaviour is similar at this point.

Does anyone have an Idea whats wrong there? With this performance the system is barely useable.

Regards, DJ

DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,134
Message 2 of 52

Re: Bad CPU Performance X380 Yoga

Second attachment.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,076
Message 3 of 52

I will try to reproduce this behavior here.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,064
Message 4 of 52

I have been running a Prime95 torture test all morning, but not seeing anything strange here.  Are you running on battery or AC?  If AC, which power brick are you using?  Is there any dock or other accessory involved?

DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,025
Message 5 of 52

Hi, thanks for trying this at your side. Did you monitor the CPU Temperature and CPU Power with some kind of tool?

I've now tried 4 different X380 Yoga, all behave similar. No matter if with the Lenovo Stock Image or my own customized Image.

I've tried with a Thinkpad USB-C Dock, powered by a 90W Power Supply (This was still mounted in my desk from my old T450s), and also powered directly by a 65W power supply through the regular DC Input. Same behaviour.

Meanwhile I've been researching also a little in the web, and I found this: https://www.notebookcheck.net/A-performance-comparison-of-all-new-ThinkPad-notebooks.286486.0.html

When you look at the graphs of CPU Temperature and CPU Package Power of the different Thinkpad Notebooks, this is quite interesting. All models are pretty constant on temperature and CPU Power after a settlement time of about 5-10 minutes. But The X380 Yoga is dropping continiously. I can't image this is "Works as designed".

I just saw that there has been a new version of the Thermal Framework Driver has been released, I will try if this makes any difference.

Regards, DJ

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,023
Message 6 of 52

I'm not using any monitoring tools except for task manager.  I'm trying to reproduce your problem "as soon as I apply load, it goes down to 6-800 MHZ".  So far, I haven't seen anything like this.

DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,011
Message 7 of 52

So, when you are running Prime 95 for about 1 hour, whats your CPU frequence and CPU Load in the Task Manager? I have between 600 and 800 MHZ, and below 50% load. If I stop Prime 95, wait for 2-3 Minutes, and start it again, it tooks about 15 seconds until the CPU drops to that low frequence again. CPU Temperature is below 60°C at that point. after a reboot, the game starts again, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and its the same again.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,000
Message 8 of 52

@DJ51 wrote:

So, when you are running Prime 95 for about 1 hour, whats your CPU frequence and CPU Load in the Task Manager? I have between 600 and 800 MHZ, and below 50% load. If I stop Prime 95, wait for 2-3 Minutes, and start it again, it tooks about 15 seconds until the CPU drops to that low frequence again. CPU Temperature is below 60°C at that point. after a reboot, the game starts again, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and its the same again.

I was able to reproduce this today.  I'm not sure why I didn't see it yesterday.  I will ask X380 Yoga team to check it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,964
Message 9 of 52

DJ51,

We found the power setting that causes this problem on X380 Yoga, and currently discussing what to do.  Sorry for this trouble.

DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,955
Message 10 of 52

Thanks for the effort, I hope you find a solution for this. Beside this problem the x380 is a pretty nice device Smiley Wink

Top Kudoed Authors