Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,762
Message 31 of 74

Re: Bad CPU Performance X380 Yoga

Last week I got contacted by Lenovo support, and they told me the issue is solved using the most recent Firmwares, Driver and Bios. However it is not. I once again invested a couple of hours to investigate further. Thanks to mikebordon for the hint using hwinfo, makes more sense than hwmonitor. Its a little bit better than before, but for me its not solved.

I've compared a Lenovo Tab 10, a old Surface 4, a X380 Yoga i7, and a T480s i5 in Cinebench R15, 50 Loops:

03-09-2018 13-28-39.jpg

I guess everybody can take out the conclusions from this graph...

This is the CPU Temperature, PL1 limit, and the Package Power of the X380 Yoga during the Cinebench loop from above:

1.jpg

The PL1 Power Limit slowly drops to 7W, it needs abotu 45 minutes to reach the lowest level. During this time CPU Temperature also drops, of course, under continious loat it runs at about 60-65°C. The Fan is not even running at full speed at this time. Also at the end of the test the CPU temperature drops quickly, but the PL1 limit does not get up. It needs about 30 minutes to restore to full 15W again. During the test, the CPU never goes to thermal trottle. 

Compared to this, the T480s

2.jpg

Same test on the T480s: At the beginning  the CPU hits the thermal throttle limit, then the PL1 Limit starts to drop down to 15W, while the CPU usually operates at about 75°C, with some peaks, as soon as the PL1 rises for a couple of seconds in between.  After the 50 Loops, CPU temperature drops, and within 1 minute the PL1 Limit is back at the 44W like at the beginning. 

I did run the same tests on a 370 Yoga (pretty much the same housing and probably the similar cooling system as the X380), and the 370 Yoga usually runs at about 10-12W under full load. Which means it performs far better than the X380, even it only has a dual core i5 CPU. I've requested a X1 Yoga from Lenovo Demopool, and I will test this, too.

I simply do not get the reason why the X380 is throttled like this. 

mikebordon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,738
Message 32 of 74

@DJ51 wrote:

The PL1 Power Limit slowly drops to 7W, it needs abotu 45 minutes to reach the lowest level. 

With the "right" load mine can drop as low as 5.5 W in a matter of minutes.

Lenovo has been pretty consistent about releasing BIOS updates once a month, so I'm hoping that we see something useful in the next few days. If not, we're giving up on the X380 Yoga.

Admin note: link removed pending review

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,512
Message 33 of 74

Sorry for such slow progress on this, but I haven't forgotten about it.  I have a trial BIOS which improves the CPU performance.  I hope to be able to provide it here on the forum next week.

sranjeet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,462
Message 34 of 74

waiting badly for it

DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,451
Message 35 of 74

Thanks @someotherguy for the update. I'm looking forward to the new Bios, if you need someone for testing, just let me know. I'm happy to help.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 1,414
Message 36 of 74

I am also very interested in being a tester for this.
FTP
Serial Port
Views: 1,323
Message 37 of 74

New 1.18 BIOS released yesterday, from Sept. 20 according to the release note, with no performance fix...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

UEFI: 1.18 / ECP: 1.18
- (New) Support firmware update for Infineon TPM.

One more month to wait?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,269
Message 38 of 74

I have a test version of BIOS version 1.18 that improves CPU performance.

To install this test version of BIOS, you can't already be on the 1.18 that was released to the website yesterday.  If you are, then you have to downgrade to a previous version, first.  (Note that to downgrade BIOS, you have to set the BIOS setting "secure rollback prevention" to disabled.  This setting is in BIOS setup -> Security -> UEFI BIOS Update Option -> Secure RollBackPrevention.  Here is previous BIOS 1.17 if you need it: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/r0suj10w.exe)

To install the test version of BIOS

1.  save this file:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhftqlNVta6rm6fZAWw

2.  extract/unzip the file

3.  double-click on winuptp.exe and follow the on-screen instructions.

4.  after the reboot, you can confirm the BIOS is installed by entering BIOS setup and looking for version "1.18_T1".  The T1 is how you know that you have successfully installed the test BIOS.

mikebordon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,250
Message 39 of 74

Thanks so much for this, someotherguy!

No issues so far, but I probably won't have the chance to really hammer it until next week.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 1,213
Message 40 of 74

I have applied the test BIOS to my X380 and the results are very encouraging. PL1 Power LImits restore back to 15W once the system is no longer thermal throttled. Looks really good so far.

I've run Cinebench and UserBenchmark throughout the day and the performance scores have been very consistant.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors