Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTSt
Punch Card
Views: 1,416
Message 11 of 74

Re: Bad CPU Performance X380 Yoga

Hi,
any news on that? when will a fix be available?

THX

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,402
Message 12 of 74

What I heard is that the cause of the performance problem has been identified, and there will be some improvement in a future BIOS version.  But I don't know the release date yet.

mikebordon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,284
Message 13 of 74

Thank you for identifying this issue! I was going crazy wondering why my brand new laptop was having significant performance issues after some uptime.

Are there any known workarounds at this time?

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 1,171
Message 14 of 74

Maybe a workaround:

So far it seems like if you go into the BIOS > Restart > Load Setup Defaults (with OS Optimized Defaults enabled) this issue stops. I'm running factory image with BIOS 1.14.

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue since doing the load optimized deafults but I haven't spent enough time with it to say for 100% certainty.

mikebordon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,150
Message 15 of 74

Thanks for that, jonnypoe. Unfortunately it didn't have any effect (for me).

Just a little more context to add here based on my observations. Monitoring HWINFO - the PL1 Power Limit starts getting throttled under even a moderate load, which ultimately throttles the CPU. If you look at my screenshot, mine is down to 8.5 W (from 15 W). Most of the time it'll decrease 0.5 W at a time, but it appears to drop more drastically if the load is heavier/constant. It only crawls back up 0.5 W at a time when there is minimal/light load.

One other thing I've noticed - the "Power Limit Exceeded" indicators have a tendency to read "Yes" even though the actual power usage appears within the limit. I wouldn't be surprised if this is contributing to (or entirely causing) the PL1 limit throttling. It's seems a bit of a worsening cycle since the limit keeps lowering, which makes it more likely for the CPU to near that limit, even under light load.

I've choked the CPU using ThrottleStop, and that's helped a little, but any big operation - OS startup, source code compile - hits the CPU hard and ultimately results in a PL1 throttle.

The only workaround I've found is to put the PC to sleep. The limit is immediately restored to 15 W on wake.

Hope that helps.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 1,139
Message 16 of 74

Ok I'm seeing it now. I was using HWMonitor which doesn't show PL1 power limit. Using HWiNFO I'm seeing the PL1 power limits continually drop without recovery until restart or sleeping the system.

Eagerly awaiting a fix for this.

mikebordon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,132
Message 17 of 74

jonnypoe -

When running normally, does your system idle at high CPU frequency, or does it drop to as low as 0.8 GHz?

If it's always running at max then that's why you'll never see the PL1 recover on its own. Supposedly the max CPU speed is in itself a known issue (https://support.lenovo.com/ng/en/solutions/ht506625), although that fix didn't work for me. When running ThrottleStop it idles correctly, which gives the system more opportunity to "catch up" under lighter loads.

Not a fix or even much of a workaround, but it's upgraded my X380 experience from abysmal to borderline managable.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 1,129
Message 18 of 74

I have factory 1803 image which supposedly has this fix built in. That said, yes, my clock speed does drop to around 800MHz on idle during normal operation.

Order66
Paper Tape
Views: 1,069
Message 19 of 74

Any information on when this fix will be available?  I see a new BIOS was published on 8/7/18, after your post.  However, the README.txt did not indicate a fix for performance issues and installing the latest BIOS has not fixed the performance issues we're seeing.  Any information would be appreciated.

sranjeet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,038
Message 20 of 74

I too have the same problem , Tried all stuffs mention across the internet !!

Drivers, Bios, power settings, disabling / enabling audio..  NO LUCK !!

Also I do not get any sound outupt from 3.5 mm headphone jack ( all others usb audio, internal speakrs are working fine) ,

whats the fix for this ?

help Smiley Embarassed

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors