Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berger156
Paper Tape
Views: 1,606
Message 1 of 7

Black Screen on Boot for Yoga 12 after Windows 10 upgrade

I have a Thinkpad Yoga 12 Gen2. I updated it to Windows 10, which worked for a brief time. After some time, it boots to the Windows loading screen, but the screen subsequently goes black and bootup freezes at that point (the computer is unresponsive). Sometimes, a hard reboot will get past the frozen black screen, but this is unpredictable.

I have contacted Lenovo three times about this issue. The first two times, they had me send the laptop in for repair, during which they reinstalled Windows 8.1. Each time, I performed the Windows 10 upgrade, and the black screen boot up problem returns (although not immediately after the upgrade).

On the third occasion I contacted Lenovo tech support, I was sent a replacement SSD. I installed Windows 8.1 using system recory discs, and then upgraded to Windows 10. The black screen problem returns.

Is there a known issue with Windows 10 and the Yoga 12? If so, what is the solution. It appears that there may be a particular Windows 10 update that causes the issue (hence why the black screen doesn't occur immediately after the upgrade). Is there an update that I should avoid?

Please advise.

Bowportes
What's DOS?
Views: 1,537
Message 2 of 7

Re: Black Screen on Boot for Yoga 12 after Windows 10 upgrade

Try simply touching the screen when this happens.
2243jwanliss
What's DOS?
Views: 1,408
Message 3 of 7

i have a Lenovo helix 2 and I have to hard reboot reset/hold down power button for a long time several times during the day. If I let it go to sleep by itself the problem seems worse and invariably when I try to start the machine again with a tap it is the black screen of death (bsod). If I hit the power button sometimes I can come back later and restart in a flash with a tap of the power button or windows logo. Other times it is the bsod again and 5 minutes of holding down buttons to get things going again. I'm very disappointed and have found my computer is not usable if I can't trust the machine to be available on demand. I can't find any solution online that works.

erapade
Paper Tape
Views: 1,362
Message 4 of 7

Having the same problem on my Helix II. Have had that for a long time now and re-installed the OS a couple of times. My collauge have the same problem as well. Right now I have a newly installed OS and have not installed Lenovos Systm Update, byt had the same problem when using System Update as well. Since the solution is to do a HW reset this is kind of frustrating. Sometimes it possible to connect an external monitor to solve the problem

Derrick_IT
What's DOS?
Views: 1,285
Message 5 of 7

@Bowportes wrote:
Try simply touching the screen when this happens.

This worked on TP Yoga 12. 

erapade
Paper Tape
Views: 1,275
Message 6 of 7

My problem is gone. I uninstalled GoToMeeting and now I have not problems resuming from the sleep mode. My colleague that had the same problem (but not GoToMeeting installed), he uninstalled the hermon.ie application.

Still there's some strange things gooing on, the wifi and mobile drives consume ~100% when in sleep, so the standby time is verry short 

Former Employee
Views: 1,077
Message 7 of 7

In response to customer reports of black screens after restart on Yoga 12 laptops running Windows 10, Lenovo has released a Service TIP.

It can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/HT116649

Please note the tip lists the screen swipe as a work around, pending a permanent fix.

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors