Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashtray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 800
Message 1 of 28

Brand New Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14 Sleep/Wake problems

Hello, Community

So my 4 day old laptop is having sleep/wake problems. If the screen sleeps because of the 10 minute timer I have it on, it CANNOT be woken up. The screen stays black, but everything else is "on." The Fn key is green and the LED on the ThinkPad logo is always on, not pulsing. Nothing I do will wake up the screen. I have to do a hard shutdown and then turn it back on. Once it's back on all apps/windows are closed and I need to restart everything manually. 

This problem also occurs if I put it to sleep by closing it, or by going to power>sleep and closing the laptop. Basically I keep having to hard shut down to get the screen to wake up. 

Other than this problem, I love the laptop. So it sucks that it's having this issue. 

Help..please.

Some101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 782
Message 2 of 28

Re: Brand New Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14 Sleep/Wake problems

Hey,

Check out this thread.It helped me too. It looks like the same problem as yours. There's probably something wrong with a  driver version.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-S440-wont-wake-up-after-sleep-...

ashtray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 750
Message 3 of 28

I've got another problem now. The laptop will not shutdown completely. The screen goes blank, but the fans and harddrive and lights...everything stays on.

Starting to get frustrating that this thing is having problems right out of the box.

Will most likely return to the store and just get another Macbook. My 9 year old one has had zero issues since day one and I'm not trolling, just seriously stating my experience.

I love this Lenovo..but these glitches, for a new piece of hardware...seems unreasonable. 

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 742
Message 4 of 28

I have a feeling this has nothing to do with hardware or brand, simply the operating system upgrade. I got my S3 TP Yoga 14 with W8.1 and it ran without a hitch, but the coming of W10 shook things up violently for a few weeks. I'd just wait until things got stable.
I know ThinkPads work because I've used a lot of them, I know the S3 Yoga works too because mine does. Let us know what choice you make.

--
Cheers.
Have a good day.
ashtray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 733
Message 5 of 28

When can we (windows10user) expect all these bugs to be cleared out by? Next month? or Next year!?

I seriously love this laptop and do NOT want to return it. But I can't be dealing with these problems all the time.

I've had to hardshut down 4 times now.

ONE more new problem I've noticed. Every time I wake/turn on the laptop, it will say "limited" connection to my wireless router. If I restart the laptop, it will fix this and automatically connect and work normally. What could be causing this? I feel like it can't be good hardshutting down and restarting this thing every day.

Please help/give advice. I appreciate all helpful input.

Best,

Carlos

ashtray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 731
Message 6 of 28

When I click the link you put for me, it says "Invalid Parameters Specified," therefore I have not been able to try anything to fix my issue.

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 724
Message 7 of 28

Hi ashtray.

Which video device does your machine has? Intel and Nvidia? Check the drivers on the Lenovo support page of your system model.

If you want to update the video driver I can also recomend you to...

1) Use "System Update" utility from Lenovo. If you do not have it already installed check it here.

2) The Intel Driver Update Utility to update Intel drivers. AMD has it's own tool. (Under your own risk)

3) If you have experience installing drivers on Windows. I found it very usefull to use DriverEasy. It offers good enought (freeware) driver recognition of the things installed on your machine. But please notice that installing the wrong driver may screw things up. (Under your own risk)

Let's hope it is only a driver/configuration thing and not hardware.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 714
Message 8 of 28

Hey martiniturbide, could you share where you got this information that the sleep/wake problem was caused by the video card?

Have a good day.
Guru
Views: 707
Message 9 of 28

Hi Ramthecowy.

It is just a guess. But it can be interesting if he can look for updated drivers for this machine. Checking for the updated power drivers may also be usefull.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

ashtray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 695
Message 10 of 28

I ran dxdiag, and under Display tab it has the following: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, chiptype: Intel HD Graphics Family etc.

Under the "Render" tab: NVIDIA GeForce 940M with same chip type name etc. Not sure if this helps any?

I really hope it's just a driver thing...which if it is, I'm assuming that the laptop can be fixed and I'll have no problems correct? I seriously want this to work out because I love this thing. This Friday the 25th will mark the 14th day of having the laptop so thats when I have to know if it can be fixed or not because for returns at Best Buy thats their policy. Sorry if I'm being a bit wordy just had a long day, back from gym and super hungry and have to start studying for exams. 

Best,

Carlos

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors