Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gladson
Paper Tape
Views: 3,772
Message 1 of 21

Can I add a pen to my Yoga 12 thinkpad?

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Yoga12 Model 20DL0036US.

It did not come with an active Pen.

It is unclear from the website/reviews if I can go and buy a WACOM or similar active pen and use it on this computer screen.

Can anybody help (simple yes or no would be great).

Many Thanks

GS

djohns27
Punch Card
Views: 3,732
Message 2 of 21

Re: Can I add a pen to my Yoga 12 thinkpad?

Is this a used machine? BH Photo has your model number here (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140676-REG/lenovo_20dl0036us_yoga12_i3_5005u_4_500gb_16_windo...). Look at the bottom right corner of the machine on the first photo. Notice the red circle next to the power button? Where the front and the side of the casing meet? That's the stylus. Check to see if you've got a stylus stuck in there for your machine. Even if you don't, it's possible that the stylus was lost (if you bought the computer used). So see if there is an opening in the casing where the stylus should be. If there is an empty space there, I would think your machine is designed for a stylus.

If that's the case, any Wacom penabled stylus should work. These are the standard Wacom styluses that have been used with tablet computers for years. On my TP Yoga 12, I'm using the same stylus I used with my old Thinkpad X61 tablet.

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 3,610
Message 3 of 21

I know this is an old thread but it is spot on to what I am asking.  I just purchased and received a new Yoga 12, part number 20DL-0036US.  Where that red dot (and pen) should be is a black plug.  I cannot pry it open with my fingernails and am not going to take a screwdriver to it but clearly no pen in there or in the box.

I am okay just using my wacom  pen on it (hopefully that will work fine)  but want to make sure it should not have come with it. And as far as I know there is not one Yoga 12 model wtih a digitizer and one without (think that was an older model). Regardless, this just shipped and was manufactured in July 2015.

Thansk,
BJBBJB

aliastdp
Paper Tape
Views: 3,589
Message 4 of 21

Usually the black plug is just a placeholder for models that don't support the Wacom. Lenovo uses the same frame parts for the models with and without the stylus.
BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 3,570
Message 5 of 21

Huh...that is strange.  The yoga 12 does support the Wacom pen.  

djohns27
Punch Card
Views: 3,558
Message 6 of 21

That is strange/fascinating. Did you buy the machine used? Or could this be a factory error of some kind?

Back in the olden days, it was pretty easy to get schematics of Thinkpads by specific type -- I haven't checked with these new-fangled machines. But I wonder if there's a screw or something that could be loosened to remove the plug so you might add a pen.

Although, you might just say "good enough" and be done with it. The housed pen is quite thin, and a step down from the standard X61 pen, for example. I've found that it's okay for emergencies, but if I know I'll be writing, I try to bring along my old Axiotron stylus.

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 3,553
Message 7 of 21

Just curious more than anything.  As you said would probably use another one anyway but not bad to have in an emergency.

BJBBJB

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 3,530
Message 8 of 21

Hope you can help me with one more thing.  I am preparing this PC as a gift (I am not the artist!) and was finally able to sneak the only wacom pen in the house to try it on the yoga 12. It is a pen from a Wacom Bamboo Connect....specifically the CTL-470.  I have googled to try to find out if this is an "EMR" pen (which I believe is the type that should work?) but most responses just refer to a bamboo pen as a replacement as if it is somehow different.

Should this pen work with the Yoga 12?  The Yoga 12 has  the wacom software installed so I assume it does have the digitizer.

This is probably a stupid question.....but do you have to turn the software "on" somehow and should it work in tablet and regular mode?  I've tried it in both with no response.

My hope is that the pen is just not comaptible.  And if not, what kind of wacom pens should I be looking for that will work with it. Preferably one similar to that pen and of course we would want the multiple levels of pressure, etc.  I don't really care if I have to get another pen.  But I am concerned if it is not working and should...

All software and drivers are up-to-date on latest Windows 10 version.

Thanks a lot!

BJBBJB

Guru
Views: 3,519
Message 9 of 21

Hi

I just checked the"20DL0036US" model on the Lenovo's PSREF books:

http://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad_Yoga_12?M=20DL0036US

It says ...

Pen

No

..so, I'm guessing that a pen should not work on that computer. I'm not sure if any active or passive pen will work on it.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 3,514
Message 10 of 21

Yikes, does that mean a pen just does not come with it or a pen won't work????!!!!

Everything I read said a Yoga 12 supported a pen with a standard Wacom digitizer.

BJBBJB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors