cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 1,122
Message 11 of 21

Re: Can I add a pen to my Yoga 12 thinkpad?

Hi

I think that it means it does not support a pen, but I may be wrong.

My TP Yoga 14 didn't came with pen, or slot to hold it but on pen it says:

Pen Active Pen

On my case I have TP Y 14 (20DM008UUS) and works with the Thinkpad Pen Pro.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,115
Message 12 of 21

Have a look at pg54 of the PSREF: http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/Think_Tablet&Convertible.pdf

All support 10-finger multitouch, and:

Some: Wacom Active pen with glossy panel, batteries required
Some: Wacom Digitizer pen with anti-glare panel, no batteries required

20DL0036US is 10-finger multitouch, only, by that reference.

Hope this helps to clarify.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 1,085
Message 13 of 21

FWIW the Thinkpad Pen Pro (the one with the batteries) DOES work with this Yoga 12 which does have a digitzer regardless of what the PSREF says. 

Hope this helps someone.

BJBBJB

reck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,033
Message 14 of 21

BJBBJB ... Quick question for you. I think the bamboo pen should work (wacom one) with your Yoga 12 IF it has the Full HD display fitted which has a matt finish on the glass. I believe these screens come with the Wacom digitiser installed on the back of the LCD screen, I have a wacom pen and it doesn't work with my glossy 'HD' screen.... so would really love to know what happened when you tried it. 

I think a generic capacitive pen should work on all devices as it is effectively like having a small finger... .  but the expenisve special pen for the Yoga 14 etc is another question. cheers!

Guru
Views: 1,024
Message 15 of 21

Hi Reck

I can only talk on my experience. I have:

- A Wacom Bamboo CTL-470

- A Thinkpad Yoga 14 20DM008UUS

The Wacom Bamboo pen ( CTL-470) does not has batteries inside it and that pen does not work on my Thinkpad Yoga 14. The pen that worked on my Thinkpad Yoga 14 is the Thinkpad Pen Pro.

Maybe other Wacom Pen will work on my Thinkpad but sadly I was not ablet to test any others. But I do not know about the Thinkpad Yoga 12.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 997
Message 16 of 21

By "work" I mean work with pressure sensitivity, not like a finger touch.

That Yoga has a glossy screen. My bamboo pen also did not work. The battery lenovo pen I mentioned did.

Several other issues with device with no answers.

BJBBJB

reck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 962
Message 17 of 21

Okay so now I am the proud owner of a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Pen Pro freshly delivered from Hong Kong.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be either a Wacom pen or a capacitive pen either. It doesn't work on my laptop, or indeed on a random selection of android devices (or other Wacom surfaces).

So, if you're thinking of getting a Thinkpad Pen Pro, save yourself $45 and don't get one unless you want a pen shaped object that doesn't register on any sort of screen! A great shame as it looks nice, even if it is totally useless,

I tried to install the software which detects end of battery life, and that didn't work on my laptop either. Not sure how the Laptop communicates with the pen anyways... but it seems you need some special Thinkpad pen pro hardware in your machine to function, despite the driver claiming compatibility with my machine. This will be going back to Lenovo tomorrow.

So, it will have to be plan B, get a screen from a supplier and do my best to make sure it has the Wacom digitiser on the back. Not particularly cheap, and a bit of a shame that I have a brand new machine and I'm already having to take it to pieces... but this route is still several hundred dollars/pounds cheaper than the cost of the full spec machine with the 'right' FHD IPS display. Wish me luck, obviously I'll need it if the screen doesn't match my existing motherboard... :-(

reck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 933
Message 18 of 21

Progress update... I got my hands on a high definition screen from eBay earlier in the week. It was a good example and for GBP40 very fair value. It had the Wacom digitizer on the back... BUT I couldn't fit it as there are some subtle differences between screens. The IPS screen with the digitizer has got the webcam attached to the back of the screen, not to the outer shell, which is how the HD screen in my existing Yoga is arranged. There is also a different lead which combines the camera and digitizer connections.. and which you need if you're going to fit this screen... and also a different set of rubber fixings  that are needed to cope with the slightly different cabling at the hinges.

So.. after discovering all that I had to return that one and go and buy a full screen for a lot more money... $200. Still, I should be able to resell my pristine HD screen to recoup some of the costs of the swap. ( If you don't need the pen it is probably a better choice as likely the lower resolution mean it sucks less power,and it has good brightness)

Just to make life a bit more exciting I am replacing the clickpad with a trackpad and that has turned up from China today as well, it looks good. I will probably wait till I have the new screen here in 3 weeks or so before taking everything apart and fitting both the trackpad and the Wacom screen. In the meantime I also have some different capacitive stylus on order just to see how well they work!

Guru
Views: 924
Message 19 of 21

Hi Reck

Can you please post your full model number of your Thinkpad Yoga 12?

Did you already check the PSREF books to see what does it says about Active Pen?

Also, just to reply some other post, when I say "the Pen works" I mean it is preassure sensitive and it is recognized as pen, not as a touch device.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

reck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 914
Message 20 of 21

The active pen documentation seems to have gone missing so if you can locate any of it that would be great.

Lenovo returns process is that if you want to return something you have to wait two weeks for them to send you a label so I still have the pen. That's Lenovo for you...Smiley Mad

Model is 20C0 A0FG00

thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors