Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 590
Message 1 of 6

Can't dual boot windows 7 with windows 8 on Thinkpad edge S430

I am desperately trying to install windows 7 from USB.

I need it to dual boot with windows 8.

I obtained a windows 7 iso from MSDNAA: (en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso)

I made a bootable UEFI USB with rufus on a Sandisk U3 Cruzer (8GB)

Now in BIOS I disabled secure boot  but I can't select my USB, I can select it, press enter, the screen flickers but jumps back to the first entry in the boot list.

The USB is displayed without "UEFI:" in front.

Selecting "legacy" in boot mode works but I can't install windows 7, the setup shows al the partitions but says: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style".

That's it, I just can't install windows 7... 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 565
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't dual boot windows 7 with windows 8 on Thinkpad edge S430

Hi,

I'm not familiar with "rufus".  Here's how I make UEFI-bootable flash drives:  format with a single FAT32 partition.   Use something like 7zip to extract the Windows ISO contents to the flash drive.  That's all.   Boot it in UEFI mode.  You'll have  to disable secure boot and enable CSM support.

You might give that a try.  I'm a little suspicious that UEFI bootability is broken if you can boot in legacy mode.  Maybe the drive is NTFS?  That won't boot in UEFI mode.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 553
Message 3 of 6

I did exactly as you told but to no avail, I just can't select the "USB HDD:"

I mean how hard can it be to install windows 7...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 538
Message 4 of 6

I just verified that this works on my Twist.  Sorry but I don't have any other suggestions.

Is there anything elsewhere in BIOS that locks out USB booting?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 531
Message 5 of 6

I tried disabling UEFI, played around with other options but nothing seems to be working...
Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 508
Message 6 of 6

Ok got it working:

a U3 Cruzer is NOT a good bootable USB!

csm should be enabled in BIOS.

secure boot should be DISABLED in BIOS.

(My problem was csm and the bad USB)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals