cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bugfixer
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 1 of 3

Can you switch monitors to one with a digitizer?

I mistakenly bought my Thinkpad Yoga thinking that it had a digitizer included because it was a 1920x1080 screen, and there is no option available for it on the website to have a FHD screen and no digitizer. I bought refurbished from a 3rd party unfortunately, so returning it more trouble than it is worth.

Is it possible to send into Lenovo for service to get a screen with a digitizer installed or is the digitizer actually dependent on the motherboard it ships with? If lenovo wouldn't do it and it is possible, I would definitely wait to buy a part on ebay and do it myself.

Very disaapointing why they would have any model without a digitizer, it is absolutely useless as a tablet without it. :-(

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 188
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can you switch monitors to one with a digitizer?

Lenovo can't swap your parts and upgrade it to the digitiser enabled version. So you have to do it on your own, or find third parties to do it for you.

The digitiser support is not dependent on the motherboard. It is dependent on the LCD you install (digitiser layer is directly bonded to the LCD). I haven't done the upgrade myself. From the look of things, you need the FHD with digitiser, a new backcover (19.4 mm), a new display cable with digitiser support, a new hinge kit, etc. There could be more parts.

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/yoga_fru_bom_20131107.pdf

http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/detail.page?DocID=UM019563
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
bugfixer
Paper Tape
Views: 184
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can you switch monitors to one with a digitizer?

I appreciate your kind reply. I have been reading forum and see you have helped others with similar issues. 

It looks like it will be some time before there are affordable parts on the market, so it is good news, and I will hold tight. I can certainly do it myself if I had the parts. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors