Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-04-2014

New York

23 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 5

Capacitive Stylus with palm rejection for the Twist (or windows 8)

2014-06-04, 12:33 PM

Hello,

A shallow search turns up many results of people making claims of the "functionality" of capacitive styli, including a variety of generic, the Wacom Bamboo (?) and the Adonit Jot series.

After watching a video on the Adonit Jot Script on an IPad, I grabbed one from Amazon, and was sorely disappointed.  Does it "work?"  Yes.  I can interact with the screen with the stylus, but without palm rejection, it's truly useless as a writing tool.

So, at the risk of sounding redundant, does anyone know of a capacitive stylus that works with Windows 8 specifically the Twist hardware that also has palm rejection?

Thanks,

Matt

Answer
Options

4 Posts

06-04-2014

New York

23 Signins

81 Page Views

Re: Capacitive Stylus with palm rejection for the Twist (or windows 8)

2014-06-12, 22:52 PM

Nope.  Doesn't work.  Boo!

Well, I've opened a thread in MSDN to try to figure out if it's feasible to "route" capacitive touch input to be pen input.

I hope I make some headway with it.  Keep tuned there if interested.

Replies(4)
Options

4 Posts

06-04-2014

New York

23 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

2014-06-06, 13:24 PM

Unsure why I can't edit my post.

I spent some time researching the digitizer/touchscreen and figured out that it is made by a company called Atmel (looked up the PCI Vendor ID/VID from the HID-Compliant touchscreen in devmgmt.msc). It is of the maXTouch series, although I can't determine which class (I couldn't find the Product ID/PID).

I did, however, figure out that Atmel makes a stylus that's compatible with a few classes of their digitizers called the maXStylus. Searching around on electronics suppliers, I learned quickly that, although being sold at the "low low price" of ~$5USD at several sites, that the minimum order is 6000, and requires a direct manufacturer order.

I then wrote an email to the customer service people at Atmel. It's clear that they may or may not entertain my request for info, being that they are an B2B electronics manufacturer, not an B2C/end user vendor.

In effort to find the stylus, I came across the fact that it is used in a few HP laptops (as well as a few others). The good news?

Here's a youtube video of an "unboxing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkSuBY35-1Y

Here's two HP links to the same exact model (one is a "smart buy" which basically means nothing for the part itself):

HP Executive Tablet Gen2 Pen: http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/10754734/mfg_partno/F3G73AA
HP Executive Tablet Gen2 Pen SmartBuy (~$10USD cheaper): http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/10754735/mfg_partno/F3G73UT

The bad news? People seem to hate this stylus. Seriously, they are furious. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/57307-hp-executive-pen-7.html#post368023 (some discussion on gen2 pens late in the thread), http://shivae.net/blog/2013/10/24/hp-executive-pen-and-atmel-digitizer-review-for-artists/ (not sure if this is for a gen2 pen, but I doubt it).

The okay news? I will be purchasing it shortly, and I will report back with test results. It's very possible it simply won't work at all, or simply just work as "a touch point," as the Adonit Jot Script (that I bought and immediately returned due to no palm rejection support).

[quick updates]

I decided to give a shot at updating the Atmel firmware with that included on the HP support site for the Revolve 810.  Guess what?  It works... delivering the following detailed info about the "found hardware":

Found maXTouch mXT1386E device
Bootloader Type: maXTouch mXT1386E/mXT1716E - Bootloader ID:36 (Version:1)
(ID: 0x2401, APP: OK)

Loading firmware file mXT1664SC06_V2.0.AC_extid_20.enc

After an automatic reboot, my touchscreen was no longer a registered device in Windows!  Awesome!  I attempted to flash the Lenovo Atmel firmware, but was advised that it would not flash and to "power cycle" the device.  The auto reboot performed by the HP downloaded Atmel firmware didn't actually power cycle the digitizer!  So, I shutdown the Twist, and powered it back up.  Same old "HID-compliant touchscreen" MSFT driver, which isn't great, but at least the screen works again!

Determining the model number, mXT1386E, helped me figure out that it supports the maXStylus! http://www.atmel.com/devices/mxt1386.aspx

But we will see about that soon.

Answer
Options

4 Posts

06-04-2014

New York

23 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2014-06-12, 22:52 PM

Nope.  Doesn't work.  Boo!

Well, I've opened a thread in MSDN to try to figure out if it's feasible to "route" capacitive touch input to be pen input.

I hope I make some headway with it.  Keep tuned there if interested.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

21 Posts

07-09-2011

United States of America

35 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 4 of 5

2014-09-07, 8:02 AM

Hey Matt, this is slightly off topic but I am hoping, from what I can tell, you might be able to answer this. I am personally confused about exactly "active" stylii in a number of ways. I read that if the stylus is "active" then it must use some form of bluetooth, and then I read that it doesn't have to be, instead it might just be electrically active tipped. 

I further read that an active pen would allow you to handwrite on a non-digitizer equipped touchscreen (ie regular touchscreen), and then I read that it won't. Basically, the long and short of it for me is that I want to handwrite on a x1 carbon, even if that means buying a Hex3 Nota or Jot stylus. But, I don't know if it will work. You seem to have a realy good handle on this, what do you think? Palm rejection is also important to me, and some things imply that is built into win8.1 and some things imply it is a function of the digitizer

Options

1 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 5 of 5

2016-09-08, 19:20 PM

Hey,

I have read all of your posts and am essentially asking the same questions that you asked at the start and was wondering if you ever found a solution. I am looking for a bluetooth pen or any pen that I can use with my YOGA 900 which has a capacitative screen. Just as you mentioned their are pens available for Ipads with capacitative screens that allow palm rejection and pressure sensitivity but I am not seeing any for windows. Have you been able to write a driver yet or have found a pen that works?

Thanks,

Clayton

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms