Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juanf
Paper Tape
Views: 25,600
Message 1 of 12

Disabling Secure Boot on Thinkpad Yoga S1

I am trying to disable UEFI Secure Boot on my Thinkpad Yoga S1 but it keeps getting re-enabled after a reboot. If I set secure boot to disabled I can boot into the non secure OSes installed on the machine imediately afterwards but if the machine is restarted the Secure Boot seting in the BIOS is re-enabled.  It's important for me to have secure boot disabled as I use OSes without secure boot.

I try to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS on the following screen :

Link to image 1

But if I re-enter the BIOS either after booting into an OS or simply re-entering the BIOS, Secure Boot is back on:

Link to image 2

I have also tried to disable "OS Optimzed Defaults" but it also returns to enabled after a restart.

Link to image 3

Some of the other BIOS settings save correctly so I can't figure out why the secure boot settings don't. The BIOS version I have is the latest (1.18).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It's inconvenient to manually disable secure boot each time I want to use the laptop. The two operating systems (Ubuntu and Android x86) do work reasonably well once booted.

Thanks!

Juan

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

br3ntc
What's DOS?
Views: 25,522
Message 2 of 12

Re: Disabling Secure Boot on Thinkpad Yoga S1

I'm having the same issue. I've experienced this with 4 brand new yogas.

I will enter bios, disable secure boot, enable legacy pxe and upon reboot the changes are lost. I'm saving changes and exiting.  

Resetting user mode options, saving changes and not exiting, those have inconsistently allowed me to keep my changes long enough so i can legacy boot. 

MikBik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,488
Message 3 of 12

Same here with a brang new TP Yoga.

I have updated BIOS to latest (1.20), the problem is still there.

This is very frustrating. I have done clean installs from USB on two other Thinkpad Yoga and I could disable secure boot without any problem. The only difference is that I was installing new hard-drives at the same time. In this case it is as if the pre-installed windows 8.1 was interfering with BIOS. I have tried to enter the BIOS from Windows 8.1 as explained here: http://itsfoss.com/disable-uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-8/

But same result, changes are never saved. I have confirmed that I can save other changes to the BIOS (e.g. keyboard beep), but secure boot and UEFI/Legacy boot always come back to their original status.

I would be grateful for any pointers!

MikBik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,533
Message 4 of 12

IT FINALLY WORKED FOR ME!

I played with "OS Optimized Defaults" after reading your message more carefully.

Here is what I had to do:

1) in "Restart" tab, select "Disabled" for "OS Optimized Defaults" (accept warnings)
2) In "Restart" tab, select "Load Setup Defaults" (accept warnings)
3) Exit and save changes

In my case secure boot is now disabled and stays disabled after a reboot. A sign that it worked is that the boot screen (first image you see) changed from Lenovo (I think) to the black/white Thinkpad with a red dot.

I was able to boot from USB without any problems after that.

juanf
Paper Tape
Views: 25,460
Message 5 of 12

Thanks MikBik, that worked for me too!

Gottria
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,427
Message 6 of 12

Pardon the ignorace, but what exactly is secure boot?

juanf
Paper Tape
Views: 25,419
Message 7 of 12

It's a feature of the UEFI 'bios' on the laptop that prevents booting up of operating systems without a valid digital signature. Normally this isn't an issue if you are just using Windows but if you want to play around with the boot loaders and try out other operating systems then secure boot can get in the way.

xyzg
What's DOS?
Views: 24,610
Message 8 of 12

i love you!!!

you saved me from hours of frustration...

you're a genius Smiley Happy

best best regards and thank you!

SeraNoxa
Blue Screen Again
Views: 24,095
Message 9 of 12

Thanks alot, this saved my day ! Smiley Happy
farmersWPSD
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,767
Message 10 of 12