Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

05-02-2009

United States

91 Signins

1255 Page Views

• Views: 1255
  • Message 1 of 3

Disappointed: Yoga S1T Display Panel Defective

2014-07-26, 15:08 PM

Yesterday, after just a month of ownership, the display panel on my ThinkPad Yoga S1 became defective. :smileyfrustrated: All of a sudden, when I undocked it (after shutting down normally), the only thing that appeared on the display was a whitish image containing a dark grey vertical band (left), which happens to be the Lenovo splash screen background! The laptop runs perfectly fine when docked because it attaches to an external monitor. I tried fiddling with the Yoga's display panel, rotating through its various configurations and, after a while, a partial windows screen did appear although it flickered and, even still, nothing displayed properly in that left most vertical strip! Undocked, the laptop was and is completely unusable...

I called Warranty Support, described the problem, and was then routed to another IBM group. That agent explained that I needed software counseling not covered under warranty! Before proceeding, I was asked to agree to an undisclosed labor charge. I protested politely (fuming inside) at which point I asked to speak to a senior manager. Apparently, that is not permitted, so I was instructed to call Warranty Support again and continue from there... Fortunately, I got a most helpful agent (Britney) who (1) remotedly connected to the laptop, (2) diagnosed the problem to the hardware display panel (ruling out software issues), and (3) arranged for depot maintenance to ensue, that is, sending packaging and shipping labels. 

Hopefully, all will go well, the panel will be replaced under warranty, and the Yoga will provide years of trouble-free operation as have my former ThinkPad tablets (X200T, X201T) both of which are still functional. If truth be told, the oldest X200T's panel is fritzy and becomes unusable when swiveled into a tablet configuration. It has not been a problem because my wife uses it in desktop mode, docked, and connected to an external monitor. 

Unfortunately, I will be without my new Yoga S1 laptop for about a week once it leaves for warranty repairs. I'll update this thread once that process moves forward... 

Ken

Answer
Options

45 Posts

05-02-2009

United States

91 Signins

1255 Page Views

Re: Disappointed: Yoga S1T Display Panel Defective

2014-08-14, 18:45 PM

UPDATE #2:

After calling Warranty Support and explaining that the original problem was misdiagnosed and not fixed, a 2nd case number was assigned. A new box was sent and I shipped the unit back - this time with pictures of the screen in its defective state! 

I then began receiving notifications that the repair depot was waiting on replacement parts which, I thought at the time, was a positive sign. A few days later, I received the laptop with an enclosed ticket containing the following indecipherable (to me) language: 

"TOUCH FHD WAG WDIGIT 19.4MM GUNZE VERTICAL BAR" 

The good news is that, after exercising the Yoga-S1 for the better part of a day, there were no repeat failures of the LCD screen.

I believe that the original problem has been resolved! :smileyvery-happy:

Replies(2)
Options

45 Posts

05-02-2009

United States

91 Signins

1255 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

2014-07-31, 12:12 PM

UPDATE: 

Except for handling speed, all did not go well with the first warranty repair. Despite my having explained the problem multiple times as a defective hardware display panel (LCD), whoever got the laptop decided the issue was a "Docking/Port Replicator Failure" and replaced the system board! :smileyfrustrated:  The unit was returned to me promptly; however, within 10-15 minutes of being turned on, the original problem manifested itself - no change!

The original ticket was closed and could not be reopened, so I had to report a 2nd case and am now in the process of sending the unit back for warranty repair again - this time with a pictorial! 

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) converted to link(s) About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Answer
Options

45 Posts

05-02-2009

United States

91 Signins

1255 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

2014-08-14, 18:45 PM

UPDATE #2:

After calling Warranty Support and explaining that the original problem was misdiagnosed and not fixed, a 2nd case number was assigned. A new box was sent and I shipped the unit back - this time with pictures of the screen in its defective state! 

I then began receiving notifications that the repair depot was waiting on replacement parts which, I thought at the time, was a positive sign. A few days later, I received the laptop with an enclosed ticket containing the following indecipherable (to me) language: 

"TOUCH FHD WAG WDIGIT 19.4MM GUNZE VERTICAL BAR" 

The good news is that, after exercising the Yoga-S1 for the better part of a day, there were no repeat failures of the LCD screen.

I believe that the original problem has been resolved! :smileyvery-happy:

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms