Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,885
Message 1 of 20

Docking Station for Yoga 370

I would like to attach 3 external monitors to the Yoga 370. I hope people who have done this can tell me which docks work well.

I have a ThinkPad Yoga 370 Model 20JH-CTO1WW
i7-7500U, Graphics 620, 16GB RAM, 180 GB OPAL2.0, FHD (1920x1080) IPS multi-touch, etc

All 3 monitors are HDMI 1920x180. (Of course, I can use an adapter for one or more to fit the dock's available display connectors.)

One dock I'm interested in is:

I would like the dock to charge my system while I'm using it on the dock, but that's not strictly a requirement. I could always use a non-charging dock and separately connect the charger.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,840
Message 2 of 20

Re: Docking Station for Yoga 370

Dear customer,

I would suggest you to visit below to find the dock you woud like to use.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/docksSearch/

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,834
Message 3 of 20

Thanks, but I have visited the Lenovo shop for docks already and I did consider buying the Thunderbolt 3 dock. However, I also saw many negative reviews on it. In fact, on Amazon, the Thunderbolt 3 dock has a shocking 32% 1-star reviews. It looks to me like most of those 1-star reviews are coming from ThinkPad owners. Here's how one of them starts: "I do not recommend this product. I paired it with a new ThinkPad Carbon X1 and they do not work well together."

Most of the new Lenovo docks seem to have problems. I think Plugable might be a better choice, but I am seeking feedback from the community.

I have read enough bad experiences with docks that there is no way I am simplly going to go to the shop and buy a dock without first asking for opinions from users who have the exact setup as me (Yoga 370 and triple external FHD monitors).

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,768
Message 4 of 20

I am still looking for feedback from anyone who has had success with 3 external FHD monitors on a Yoga 370.

I have a ThinkPad Yoga 370 Model 20JH i7-7500U, Graphics 620. All 3 monitors are HDMI 1920x1080. (Of course, I can use an adapter for one or more to fit the dock's available display connectors.)

I tried the Plugable USB-C Triple Display Docking Station (model UD-ULTCDL) and it does not work for me because it requires a DisplayLink driver for more than 1 external monitor. I run Arch Linux and DisplayLink is mostly something to avoid on Linux.

It is really expensive, time-consuming and slow to buy-try-return docks one at a time. If anyone has gotten 3 external FHD monitors working on a Yoga 370 I would love to know which dock you used. Thanks.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,733
Message 5 of 20

Does anyone have 3 external monitors working on any Lenovo ThinkPad using a USB-C dock or a Thunderbolt 3 dock and without using DIsplayLink drivers?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,728
Message 6 of 20

Dear MountainX,

ThinkPad KabyLake(2017) products and KabyLake-Refresh(2018) products are designed to use up to 3 displays including internal LCD display.   So, it is impossible for ThinkPad to use 3 external monitors at the same time.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,722
Message 7 of 20

Are we talking about the same thing? I am currently using 3 external monitors with an X270 (20HN) i7 7600U (Kaby Lake) with a Lenovo dock. It absolutely works. Of course, the laptop LCD has to be turned off in the system settings upon docking (happens automatically). And of course Lenovo supports 3 external monitors on many of these systems because it is well-documented. See, for example, https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029622. Look how many options there are for 3 monitors in that document. Even some docks that support the Yoga 370 are listed there.

I also see from the Lenovo website that the ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station (40AJ0135US) connects up to three UHD displays. That dock might be the best choice. Unfortunately, that dock does not appear to work with the Yoga 370. I'm hoping there is another dock option I haven't found. (That's why I am asking here.)

As mentioned, I need a dock that does not use DisplayLink drivers.

It looks like the X280 and other current ThinkPad models support 3 external displays with dock 40AJ0135US -- or this page is very misleading: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Ultra-Dock-135-W-US/p/40AJ0135US

That dock appears to be driver-free (which I assume means no DisplayLink). That's what I need, but for the Yoga 370.

The ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station provides the best docking experience for large enterprise ThinkPad customers. The innovative side connector, designed exclusively for ThinkPad notebooks, provides a driver-free way to connect conveniently and securely to a range of USB accessories and external displays. Its rapid charging support and mirrored power button make it easy to unlock and go.

The ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station is built for today's demanding office work, too, delivering 10 Gbps data transfer through four USB 3.1 ports. Connect up to three UHD displays for maximum productivity gains. Designed for enterprise environments, ThinkPad Ultra Docking Stations support PXE book, wake on LAN, and MAC address pass-through, simplifying asset management for IT managers. Painstakingly designed and extensively tested, ThinkPad Ultra Docks provide seamless docking in a minimized form factor.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,717
Message 8 of 20

Dear MountainX,

Yes, I believe we are on the same page.

Intel Graphics supports up to 3 output, normally LCD + 2 external displays by docking.  Your X270 case is 3 external displays on docking so that no LCD.  In case the Workstation systems (P51, P71) equipped with Intel + nVIDIA ,  LCD + 3 external displays are supported.

Unfortunately, Yoga 370 has Intel Graphics only.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,695
Message 9 of 20

@Rydeen wrote:

Dear MountainX,

Yes, I believe we are on the same page.

I appreciate your replies, but it appears you are misunderstanding my question. I am looking for a docking solution for the Yoga 370 which will support 3 external 1920 x 1080 displays. The laptop LCD can be turned off, just as it is with my X270. The docking solution cannot require DisplayLink drivers.

I have exactly that setup for my X270. I want the same for my Yoga 370. Both of these laptops have the same CPU and the same Intel HD Graphics 620. What differs is that the X270 has an underside dock connector and the Yoga 370 does not. Therefore, I need a different docking solution for the Yoga 370. And that's why I'm asking my question here.

Certainly, the CPU and Intel Graphics 620 do not prevent the Yoga 370 from supporting 3 external monitors because those components are exactly the same as the X270, which functions in the manner I require. Thank you.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 3,663
Message 10 of 20

@Rydeen wrote:

Dear MountainX,

ThinkPad KabyLake(2017) products and KabyLake-Refresh(2018) products are designed to use up to 3 displays including internal LCD display.   So, it is impossible for ThinkPad to use 3 external monitors at the same time.

I ended up just buying a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Part number:  40AC0135US) to try it for myself. Somewhat to my surprise (and delight), it does function as I hoped with the Yoga 370. Specifically:

• does support 3 FHD (1920x1080) displays!
  • Ethernet works
  • charging works
  • all attached peripherals (e.g., mouse, keyboard) work
  • no drivers required under Linux ("Plug 'n Play")

I did not have to use any drivers other than those that are part of a typical Arch Linux install. For me, the dock was just "plug 'n play". I'm not sure what magic Lenovo worked to make this Thunderbolt 3 dock support 3 external displays without DisplayLink drivers (because several people said that would not work), but I am very happy to report that it is working for me with the Yoga 370 on Linux. :-)

I have read a lot of bad reviews on this specific dock. However, after trying many different docks from several different manufacturers (and spending thousands of dollars on them), I feel like this is one of the better docking solutions out there. I'm not sure why it gets all the hate in the reviews (especially at Amazon), but it hasn't given me any reason to dislike it yet. I did not find a better dock for the Yoga 370.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the experience was not as good with an X280. While the Thunderbolt 3 Dock connects 3 displays to the X280, Ethernet and charging are not working out of the box. The X280 has two USB C connectors, one which is part of the dock connector and one which is used for charging. Charging did not work with either connection. I did not try to diagnose the Ethernet problem on the X280. I think I have seen a similar issue mentioned in other discussions and there may be a solution (I did not look). Apparently I got lucky that everything just works on the Yoga 370, which is the solution I was seeking.

It seems to me that at this point in time, finding the right dock is very dependent on the specific laptop. Those were good days of interoperability when all ThinkPads had the underside dock connector and all ThinkPads could share one type of dock.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors